Doubts of a Hero 2


Han attempted to clean up a little more, and before long Luke returned with two plates piled high of something that smelled absolutely delicious. They ate ravenously, and talked of repairs and future alterations that Han planned for his beloved ship until long after the meal was finished.

ハンがもう少し清潔になろうと努力している間に、ルークが食欲をそそる匂いのプレートを2枚、料理で山盛りにして戻って来た。二人とも料理を精力的に平らげ、食事が終わった後もしばらく愛する船の修理や将来的な改造について話し合った。


"Blast, when did it get so late," Han said when he noticed the time. "I don't mean to eat and run, kid, but my presence was expected at a sabacc game ten minutes ago."

「なんだ、もうこんな時間か」時刻に気付いたハンが言った。
「キッド、食ってすぐに行動を起こしたいわけじゃないんだが、俺は10分前にサバック・ゲームを始めてる予定なんだ」


Luke had learned that a sabacc game was just one of the ways some pilots managed to relax during their down time. "Who's playing tonight?"

ルークはサバックがパイロットたちが自由時間にリラックスするための一つの手段なのだということを学んでいた。
「今夜は誰が参加してるの?」


"Wedge, some guy named Hobbie who shipped in with that new unit yesterday, and a couple others."

「ウェッジと、昨日新入り部隊と一緒に入ってきたホビーってやつと他の何人かだ」


The sensation of calm and wellbeing Luke experienced earlier had continued while remaining in Han's company, and he was hesitant to leave. But he knew there was no avoiding the sickening dread, the inescapable nightmare he could already sense as the images began working their way into his mind. For an instant he considered asking Han if he could come along. But Luke didn't feel up to dealing with this mood in the company of a group. And if Wedge would be playing cards, then Luke knew he could be alone for a while in the quarters he shared with the pilot. Trying not to show signs of the apprehension that seemed to be coming upon him in waves, Luke stood to leave.

ここに来てから感じていた平穏と心地よさはハンと一緒にいることでずっと続いていて、帰るのがためらわれた。しかし今もまさに頭に雪崩れ込んでこようとしている悪夢の不快な恐怖は、どのみち避けられないことがわかっていた。一瞬、ハンについていってもいいかどうか聞こうとしたが、こんな気分で集団に加わる気はしなかった。それにウェッジがゲームに参加しているということは、相部屋を一人占めできるということだった。波のように襲いくる不安を見せないよう気を使いながら、ルークは立ち上がった。


"Well, don't take all their credits in one night. I'll see you around." Luke hoped his comment came across lighthearted, but his voice sounded distant in his own ears. He turned to head down the corridor that would lead him to the exit ramp. Suddenly everything began to tilt and spin as dizziness surged his senses. He reached out for support against a nearby bulkhead, but missed, his arm flailing.

「じゃあ皆の掛け金を一晩で取り上げないようにね。またあとで」
明るい調子で伝わっていてほしいと思ったが、その台詞は自分の耳にも心ここに在らずといった風に聞こえた。出口に通じる廊下へと向き直ると、突然全てが傾き回り始めた。五感が目眩に支配されていく。近くの壁を捕らえられずに、手が虚しく空を切った。


"Luke!" Han managed to grab the young man's shoulder before he fell, catching him and easing him into the chair.

「ルーク!」
ハンはなんとか青年が倒れる前に肩を掴んで、その身体を椅子へと導いた。


"Sorry," Luke mumbled, his voice no more steady than his legs had been. "I must've stood up too quickly."

「ごめん」体重を支えきれなかった己の脚のように弱々しい声でルークが呟いた。
「急に立ち上がったのがいけなかったんだ」


The smuggler didn't buy that for a moment. "What the blazes is wrong with you?"

そんな言い訳で納得するような相手ではなかった。
「なんでこんなことになってるんだ?」


"Nothing." Luke pushed his friend away, and blinked in an effort to focus his vision. "Don't worry about it. Just go on, you're late for your game."

「なんでもないよ」友人を押し退けて、焦点を合わせようと何度か目をしばたく。
「心配しないで行っていいよ、ゲームに遅れてるんだろ?」


"Forget the stupid sabacc game." Han's voice was stern. "This is the third time today I've noticed that something is wrong, and each time you've tried to tell me you're fine. Now are you going to tell me what's up or am I going to have to throw you over my shoulder and cart you to the medcenter myself?"

「サバックなんてどうでもいい」ハンの声音は厳しかった。
「何かがおかしいと気付いたのは今日でもう3度目だ、その度にお前は大丈夫だって言うけどな。そろそろ何が起きてるのか話すか、それとも俺が直々に医務室に担ぎこんでやろうか?」


Luke knew Han could and would do just that, but he remained silent, pointedly avoiding the older man's gaze.

ハンがその気になれば本当にそうするだろうと分かっていたが、ルークは横を向いて黙りこくっていた。


"You stubborn little gundark!" Han's concern expressed itself in frustration. He stood, faced away from Luke, hands on hips as he fumed. A few seconds later, he took the chair opposite Luke, attempting a different approach.

「この強情っ張りが!」
心配する気持ちが苛立ちとなって表れていた。ルークから顔を背け、腰に手を当ててハンは腹立たし気に息をついた。しばしの後、彼は反対側の椅子に腰を降ろし違う迫り方を試みた。


"Listen Luke, we both know I'm certainly not one for being all buddy-buddy when it comes to talking about problems and feelings. But something is going on, and I don't like the look of it. I'm worried about you and I want to help."

「いいかルーク、俺が悩みを打ち明けたりする時に仲良しこよししたくなるような奴じゃないってのは、よくわかってる。だが確実に問題があって、まずい状況に見える。お前のことが心配だから、力になりたい」


Luke managed to meet his eyes this time, but still said nothing.

ルークは顔をあげたが、まだ沈黙を守っていた。


"Hey, I'm your friend, you know." The smuggler displayed his best lopsided grin. "At least that's what you keep trying to tell me ever since I saved your skin. So why don't you let me play the part this time?"

「俺はお前の友だちだろ」彼は出来うる限り友好的に右上がりの笑みを浮かべてみせた。
「俺がお前を助けた時からずっとそう言い続けて来たのはそっちだろう。今度は俺にその役回りをやらせてくれよ」


The taunt worked, and Luke looked away guiltily. "Something's happening to me, Han." His voice was raspy, raw. When he raised his eyes this time, Luke made no attempt to hide the pain that had plagued him for days.

皮肉が効いたのか、ルークは気まずげに目を逸らした。
「ハン、何かが僕に起こってるんだ」
咽の奥から絞り出したような掠れ声だった。再び目をあげた時、彼はもう何日も自分を苦しめている苦痛を隠そうとしていなかった。


Years of mastering a sabacc face prevented Han from expressing the cold alarm he felt at that look. "What do you mean?"

長年サバック・ゲームでつちかった無表情のおかげで、ハンは背筋に冷たいものが走ったのを顔に出さずに済んだ。
「どう言う意味だ?」


Luke took a deep breath and plunged ahead. "I've been having this nightmare. Only I'm beginning to think it's more than just a nightmare."

深く息を吸い込んで、ルークは続けた。
「ここのところずっと悪夢を見るんだ。それがただの夢じゃないような気がして」


Han nodded, allowing Luke to take the lead in the conversation now.

ハンは頷くと会話の主導権を相手に預けた。


"It didn't really start out that way. It was more or less this feeling, just a sense of something bad that I couldn't quite pin down, but I just couldn't shake it either. I began to notice it soon after we left Yavin. Like I said, it didn't seem serious at first, and we were all so busy during that time that I didn't give it much thought. Then when we arrived on Kreelos it started to affect my sleep. Not a dream at first, just making me restless, you know. I could tell I wasn't sleeping as well. Then there were dreams, for several nights. But always when I'd wake up, I could never remember what it was about. I couldn't remember any of the images, only this horrible feeling of dread." Luke paused, his ashen face going even paler. He swallowed hard, his mind swirling with the pictures he desperately wanted to forget. His voice quaked slightly. "Until last night."

「最初はこんなんじゃなかったんだ。ただなんとなく感じるだけで、はっきりしないけど忘れることも出来ない悪い予感みたいなものだった。ヤヴィンを発った辺りから始まって、さっきも言ったみたいに初めはなんてことなくて、その時はちょうど忙しかったから真剣に考える余裕もなかったし。それでクリーロスに着いたらよく眠れなくなったんだ。何回かは夢も見たけど、起きると何だったか思い出せなかった。恐かったことだけ覚えてて、イメージも全部忘れちゃうんだ」
ルークは言葉を止めた。青白い顔は更に血の気を失っていった。咽を鳴らして唾を飲み下すと、消し去ってしまいたいイメージが頭の中に渦巻き始めた。彼の声は微かに震えていた。
「昨日の、夜までは」


Han leaned forward, concern evident in his hazel eyes. He placed a hand on the young man's shoulder in a supportive gesture, but remained silent. If Luke was going to tell him, it had to be in his own timing.

心配そうな光をハシバミ色の瞳にたたえて、ハンが身体を近づけた。支えを提供するように青年の肩に手を置いたが、何も口に出そうとはしなかった。もしルークが打ち明けるつもりなら、それは彼自身のタイミングでなければならない。


Luke allowed his gaze to drift away and his eyes became unfocused, haunted. His voice projected a calm timbre that was somehow disquieting. "I see stormtroopers and Imperial soldiers, thousands of them. At first they're faceless, but it changes and I can see their faces clearly, even the stormtroopers because their helmets are removed. They're all crying out in horrible pain. It's so loud, I've never heard anything so loud. And then I see other people, men and women, some children too. Somehow, I know, these people are the family and friends of those Imperials. And now they're crying out too. Everyone is screaming their pain at me and it's so loud I think my mind will explode from the noise. And I can feel their pain too; the grief, the fear, the horror. It grabs at me, like it's trying to pull me into some bottomless hole. The noise and the feeling, it all just keeps building, getting stronger and stronger. I'm suffocating from it all. And then--"

焦点の合わない取り憑かれたような目が空を彷徨う。その声は落ち着いていたが、どこか聞く者を不安にさせる響きを含んでいた。
「突撃部隊や帝国軍のやつらが何千人も表れるんだ。最初は顔が見えないのに、そのうち一人一人の表情が見えてくる。突撃部隊もヘルメットが取られてるから、顔が見えるんだ。みんなが酷い苦痛を訴えてくる。すごくうるさいんだ。あんなに大きい声、聞いたことない。そのうち他にもたくさん男の人と、女の人と、子供が見えて、何故か僕にはそれが帝国軍の家族とか、友達だってわかるんだ。そのうちその人たちも一緒に叫びはじめて、全員が僕に痛いって訴えてた。あんまりうるさくて、頭が割れそうだった。その人たちの痛みとか悲しみとか恐怖を全部感じるんだ。それが僕を底なしの穴に引きずり込もうとしてるみたいに縋りついてくる。声と感覚がどんどん膨れ上がって強くなって、どんどん苦しくなって、そして…」


Luke's voice faltered, continuing only in unsteady gasps. "Then I see my aunt and uncle. They're in pain, unbearable pain. There are flames and smoke everywhere. I can feel the heat, hotter than the worst midday on Tatooine, and everything is so horrible and loud. I want to escape but I can't. They're all reaching for me, pulling me under. I can't even scream."

ルークの声は突然途切れ、不規則な喘ぎ声が続いた。
「そして、おじさんとおばさんが見えてくるんだ。二人とも苦しんでる、耐えられないような苦痛を味わってる。そこら中が火を噴いて、煙が立ってて、僕も熱さを感じるんだ。タトゥイーンのいちばん暑い午後よりずっと熱くて、何もかも恐くて煩くて、逃げたいのに逃げられない。全てが僕を捕まえて引きずり込もうとする。声を上げることもできない」


Luke squeezed his eyes shut in vain against the images. He was visibly trembling now. "Last night, when I woke up, I could still see it all. The images, the feelings, everything keeps coming back. I can't get it out of my mind, Han." His voice broke in sobs. "It's all my fault. They're all dead because of me!"

痛みを堪えるように固く目を閉じて、ルークはイメージを閉め出そうとした。彼は目に見えるほど震えていた。
「昨日の夜目を覚ました時にははっきり見えた。イメージも感覚も全部蘇ってくる。頭から追い出せないんだ」泣き声が語尾を乱した。
「みんな僕の所為だ、僕の所為で死んだんだ!」


The Correlian pilot pulled back, unsure how to respond. He'd experienced his own share of nightmares in the past, but somehow he knew this was different. The young man hunched down in the chair before him was obviously in torment and Han felt at a definite loss. But when anguished, blue eyes turned to him, imploring him, Han knew he would do whatever it took to find a way to help his friend.

コレリア出身のパイロットはどう答えればいいかわからずに身を引いた。彼自身悪夢を経験したことはあったが、どういうわけかこれは違っているのだということが判った。目の前で椅子にうずくまる青年は明らかに苦しんでいて、彼は途方に暮れた。しかし傷ついた青い瞳が懇願するように見つめてくるのを見て、この友人を助けるためならどんなことでもするだろうとハンは思った。


"I'm not sure I have all the answers, kid," Han replied after a deep breath. "But we're gonna find them together, okay?"

「全ての答えが出せるかどうかはわからんが、一緒に考えよう、な?」
深く息をついた後でハンが言った。


Luke managed a nod. He pulled his arms tight about his chest, suddenly feeling chilled. "You got a jacket or something? I'm freezing."

ルークはなんとか頷き返すと、急に寒気を感じて自分の体に腕をまわした。
「上着か何か無いかな?凍えそうだ」


Han moved to retrieve a blanket from an overhead compartment.

ハンは立ち上がり、頭上の収納棚から毛布を取り出した。


"So, you think I should see someone about this," Luke asked, pulling the blanket around his shoulders. His voice still sounded shaky.

「僕は誰かに診てもらった方がいいと思う?」
毛布にくるまりながら尋ねる声はまだ震えていた。


Han considered carefully before answering. "Let's talk about this for a bit before we make any decisions. One thing at a time."

答える前にハンはしばし考えた。
「なにかを決める前にまず少し話そう。一つずつな」


Luke nodded again, something akin to relief passing over his now haggard features.

やつれた容貌に安堵にも似た表情を浮かべたルークがもう一度頷いた。


"The first thing you've got to do is stop this guilt trip about your aunt and uncle's death." Han held up a hand to silence his friend. "Just listen to me for a minute. Now you've told me the details of the story before, and unless you omitted something about those events, there is no way I believe this 'it's all my fault' idea. It may not be the answer you want to hear, but what happened to your family just happened. It could have been anyone who bought those droids, but it was your uncle who did. And so it was your uncle the Imps found when they came looking. It may not be fair, but it is life. And in case you haven't figured it out, kid, life is not fair."

「まずはおじさんとおばさんが死んだことで、自分を責めるのをやめることだ」
ハンは友人を制するのに手をかざした。
「黙って聞いてろ。これについては前に聞いたことがあるし、お前が何か言い忘れてない限り、俺はこれが『全部僕の所為』だなんて思わない。あんまり聞きたくないことかもしれんが、お前の家族に起こったことは、ただ起こったんだ。そうなるのはあのドロイドたちを買った人間なら誰でもよかった筈だが、あいつらを買ったのはお前の叔父だった。だからあの悪魔たちが捜索に来た時に、お前の叔父を見つけちまったんだ。不公平かもしれんが、それが人生だ。もしまだ解ってないなら言っておくが、坊や、人生ってのは不公平なんだ」


"But if I'd at least been there," Luke protested with the old argument.

「でもせめて僕がそこにいれば」
お決まりの反論が返って来た。


"Then you'd be dead," Han said bluntly. "So you might have been a cocky hot-shot and knocked off two or three stormtroopers, but you'd still be dead. And that Death Star would still be out there." He plunged on, not waiting for any reaction from Luke. "Which leads to my second point. Now I'm certainly no expert, but some of what you described in that dream sounds like maybe your mind is trying to find a way of dealing with the fact that you now find yourself in the middle of this crazy war."

「お前は死んでただろうな」ハンは遠慮なく言い切った。
「早撃ち名人気取りで2、3人ストームトルーパーをぶっ倒してたかもしれないが、それでも結局死んでるさ。そしてデス・スターはまだ飛び回ってたってわけだ」
ルークの返答を待たずにハンは続けた。
「それが2つ目のポイントに繋がる。俺は素人だが、お前が話した夢の一部は、お前自身がこの馬鹿げた戦争に巻き込まれちまったことにどう適応したらいいか迷っているように聞こえたぞ」


"What do you mean?"

「どういうこと?」


"I mean that in a very short period of time you've gone from being a backwards moisture farmer to a key player in the very heart of the Rebellion," Han replied. "That can't be easy to accept."

「つまり、お前は短期間で、時代遅れの農家の跡取りから革命軍の中心人物になっちまったってことさ」ハンは応えた。
「そりゃ受け入れるのは難しいだろう」


That was something of an understatement, Luke thought bitterly. Although a part of him was glad, proud to be playing an active role now, it had all happened so quickly. He'd been thrust into each new situation with little or no time to consider all the consequences. Even afterwards there had not been time to adequately deal with all the changes, and now it seemed everything was crashing in on his conscious at once. So another part of him was very angry at fate, or luck, or the Force, or whatever had led him to this point.

それでもかなり控えめな表現だとルークは苦々しく思った。活動的な役回りに誇りを持って嬉しく思う反面、その変化は急激すぎた。状況把握する暇もないままに色々な局面に追い込まれ、通り過ぎた後もその変化とまともに向かい合う余裕が無かった。今になって、全てが彼の意識にのしかかって来ているかのようだった。心の何処かで、彼は宿命や運やフォース、自分をここまで導いた何かに対して激しい憤りを感じていた。


Han was continuing, "I know that trying to help your uncle make a living on Tatooine was a rough life, but nothing could have prepared you for the kind of things you've seen, the kind of things you've had to do in the past few weeks."

ハンはまだ喋り続けていた。
「タトゥイーンでおじさんを手伝って生計をたてるのも大変だったろうが、お前がこの数週間で体験したようなことへの覚悟は出来たわけがないんだ」


The Correlian leaned forward and something in his expression changed. Luke felt riveted by it. He was sure he'd never seen the man look more sincere.

コレリア出身の男が顔を近づけ、彼の表情が変わった。ルークの感情はそれに引き寄せられた。この男がこんなに心のこもった表情をするのは初めてだった。


"Actually, you're holding up a lot better than I would have thought. Which just puts another clinch into this hunch of mine." Han locked his eyes with the young hero. "You're meant to be something special, kid."

「実際、お前は思ったよりうまくやってる。それが俺の勘にもう一発証拠を打ち込んでくれるってわけだ」ハンは年若い英雄と目を合わせた。
「お前は特別なんだよ、坊や」


"I didn't ask to be special," Luke responded hotly, expressing some of the ire he felt.

「特別になりたいなんて言ってない」
感じていた苛立ちの一部を表に出して、ルークが熱っぽく言い返した。


Han shrugged. "Doesn't matter. It's your lot in life. You can either learn to make the most of it, or ignore it. But take this one piece of advice. If you don't at least try to live up to your potential, you'll never be happy."

ハンは肩をすくめた。
「関係ないさ。それがお前の運命なんだろう。うまくやっていく方法を学ぶか、無視するかはお前次第だ。だがこれだけは心にとめておけよ、自分の可能性を生かそうと思わない限り、幸せにはなれないぞ」


"How do you know?"

「どうしてわかるの?」


"Because I've seen your kind before, and your kind never are happy any other way."

「前に似たような奴を見たことがあるからさ。お前みたいな人間は、他のやりかたじゃ満足できないんだよ」


Luke sighed. Han was telling him the truth, a truth he already knew and, in a sense, had already accepted. But that didn't make it any less frustrating, especially considering that accepting his gifts also meant accepting the responsibilities that came with them.

ルークはため息をついた。ハンが言ったことは事実で、自分でもそうと解って、ある意味ではもう受け入れていることだった。だからといってそれは彼の不満を和らげてはくれなかった。特に、自分の能力を認めることはそれに伴う責任を担うことでもあったからだ。


"Han, it was my shot that destroyed the Death Star. Because of me, thousands of people are dead." Luke finally voiced a thought that had been disturbing him for some time.

「ハン、僕が撃った一発でデス・スターは爆発したんだ。僕の所為で何千人もの人が死んだんだよ」
ルークは遂に自分を苦しめている原因を口にした。


"And because of you thousands and thousands now have a better chance of living," Han pointed out.

「そのおかげで今もっとたくさんの奴らが生きていられるんだろう」
ハンが指摘した。


"That's a pad answer and you know it," Luke replied testily. "Yes, I know that if the Death Star were still here then Yavin would have been blown to bits and who knows how many more planets in the future. I know the Empire is wrong, and what we're fighting for is right. But that doesn't change the fact that I killed all those people."

「そんなお決まりの答えは意味がないよ、判ってるくせに」挑戦的な口調でルークが言い返す。
「確かにデス・スターがまだ存在してたらヤヴィンは粉々になってただろうし、これからどれだけの星がそうなったかわからないよ。帝国が間違ったことをしてるのは解るし、僕たちが正義のために戦ってるのも解ってる。でもそれは僕があの人たちを殺した事実とは関係ないよ」


Luke trudged forward, not daring to stop now that so much of what he'd been fighting against was finally being vented. "There were men on that station, men like me, who had simply gone to the Academy in an effort to escape their life back home. And there were men with families, wives and children, fathers and mothers. They were just doing their jobs, fulfilling their duty. Not every Imperial is as evil as the Emperor, Han. Some of them are just people, good people who simply don't realize what the Empire has become."

ルークはたどたどしく続けた。心の中の葛藤がはけ口を見い出した今、止まる気など更々無かった。
「あの基地には僕みたいに、ただ日常から抜け出す為にアカデミーに行った人もいたんだ。 奥さんとか子供とか父親とか母親とか家族がいて、自分の仕事をこなしてただけなんだ。帝国軍がみんな皇帝みたいに邪悪な訳じゃ無いんだよ、ハン。何人かは帝国が変わってしまったことに気付いてないだけの善人なんだ」


"You're absolutely right," Han admitted. He pointed a finger squarely at the younger man's chest. "But I'm going to tell you something, and if you don't ever learn another thing from me, I want you to learn this. We are in a war. And in war, both the innocent and the guilty die. There's both justice and injustice. It's going to happen, whether you're directly involved or not. And you will always be involved, eventually, on some level. War touches everyone. The question comes down to this; which side are you going to fight for? Are you going to get involved as much as possible? Are you going to take the opportunities offered you? Are you going to do everything you can to make sure that justice and the deaths of the guilty far outweigh the injustices and the deaths of the innocent? You have to make that decision, and you have to live with that decision. In war, things aren't always black and white, kid. Sometimes you just have to decide how much gray you can live with."

「ああそうだな」
ハンは素直に認めると、青年の胸を真直ぐ指差した。
「でもな、これだけは言っておくぞ。俺たちは戦争してる。戦争ってのは悪い奴もいい奴も死ぬんだ。正しいこともあれば不公平なことも起こる。お前が直接関ろうが関るまいが、そういうことが起こる。多かれ少なかれお前も巻き込まれることになる。戦争は誰にでも影響をおよぼすんだ。そこで質問だ。お前はどっち側につく?正義の勝利と悪人の死が、不公平なことや罪のない人々の死を遥かに上回るように全力を尽くすか?お前自身が決めて、その決断を背負って行かなきゃならない。戦争では白黒はっきりしないことだってあるぜ、坊や。時にはどれだけの灰色を背負って生きていけるか決めなきゃならない」


Luke let the words fix themselves in his mind. There was wisdom there, more probably than he could initially realize. He felt that, in time, it might help him deal with some of the things he had done. And, no doubt, with many of the things he would face in the future.

ルークはその言葉を自分の中で反芻した。そこには、そのまま理解するのが不可能なくらいの深遠な思想があった。この言葉はきっとそのうち自分が冒したことと向かい合うのを助けてくれるだろう。勿論、これから起こることに対しても。


<< PREV / NEXT >>


BACK