Doubts of a Hero 3


"Thank you," Luke said after a long silence. He eased the blanket from his shoulders and began to methodically fold it for storage again. "I'm glad-- glad I was finally able to talk about some of this stuff."

「ありがとう」長い沈黙の後にルークが言った。肩を覆っていた毛布をはずして、彼はそれを几帳面にたたみ直し始めた。
「ほっとしたよ…こういうことを少しでも話せて良かった」


"I'm still a bit worried though," Han added, his voice still laced with emotion. "I know we've talked and all, but you were right when you said there's more to this than just a bad nightmare."

「俺はまだ心配だけどな」まだ少し感情に縁取られた声で、ハンがつけ足した。
「話をしたのはいいんだが、お前がただの夢じゃないって言ったのは正しいんだと思うぜ」


Luke met his gaze. "Then you do think I should see someone about this."

ルークはハンの目を見つめた。
「じゃあやっぱり誰かに診てもらった方がいいのかな」


The pilot waved his hands in a negative gesture. "That's not necessarily what I mean. I'm just saying that when you described it to me, you were pretty shook up. It's also affecting your sleep, you aren't eating regular, and you almost passed out right here on the ship. You have to consider it might be something you need to speak with someone else about. Someone you can talk to, maybe on a regular basis, and in strict confidentiality."

否定するように手が振られた。
「そういう意味じゃないが、さっき話してたときのお前はかなりやばそうだったからな。睡眠不足の原因になってる上に、食事もちゃんと取ってない。しまいにはここで貧血までおこした。相談相手が必要かもな、誰かいつでも話せる口の固い奴」


"And why couldn't that someone be you," Luke asked pointedly.

「その誰かってあんたじゃ駄目なの?」ルークが指摘した。


"I appreciate the vote of confidence," Han replied with a grin. Then he sobered. "And I want you to know you can talk to me whenever, about anything. But I just think you should consider someone who might be able to do more than just talk back. I think you should confide in the Princess."

「信用されてるとはうれしいね」ハンは不適な笑みを返すと、真面目な表情になった。
「なんでもいいから、話したかったらいつでも来いよ。ただ、話し相手になる以上の相手がいた方がいい。姫さんに相談したらどうだ」


"I don't know," Luke said quietly. He'd certainly felt like a hero when they rescued Leia from the Death Star, but now that she was among the Alliance and into some sense of routine with her responsibilities, he'd not felt as comfortable about approaching her. "Leia's awfully busy these days, and she has so much to do with the higher ups in the Alliance. Plus with everything she's been through, maybe I shouldn't bother her with my problems."

「それはどうかな」ルークは静かに言った。
レイアをデス・スターから救出した時はヒーローになったような気がしていたが、彼女が反乱軍の一員として責任を持って仕事をこなす姿を見ると、近寄りがたいものがあった。
「最近凄く忙しそうだし、お偉いさんたちとバリバリ仕事してるし、彼女が色んな目にあった事を考えると、僕の悩みを押し付けて困らせるのも気が引けるし」


Han nearly laughed. "Would you listen to yourself? Is this the same presumptuous farmboy who talked me and Chewie into marching into an Imperial detention block?"

ハンは思わず笑いそうになった。
「おいおい、それが俺とチューイを帝国軍の牢屋に乗り込ませた生意気なガキの言うことか?」


Luke just stared back at him sheepishly and shrugged.

ルークはただ申し訳無さそうに視線を返して肩をすくめた。


"Of course she's busy, and she's got pull with the brass, and she's been through hell, but those are also reasons why she'd be the perfect one for you to talk to. With her clout, maybe the Princess could point you in the right direction if you should need to talk about this dream business to someone else. And the fact that she's busy means she probably hasn't time to deal with all the feelings and thoughts going through that crazy mind of hers regarding recent events. In case you haven't noticed, you two have those things in common. You might be able to understand each other in a way no one else can."

「そりゃ彼女は忙しいさ。軍隊をひっぱっていかなきゃならんし、酷い目にも遭ってる。でもそれはお前の相談相手にぴったりだってことにもなるだろう。お前が他の誰かに夢の話を聞いてもらうべきなら、彼女の権力で適役を紹介してくれるかもしれないしな。それに、忙しいってことは、彼女自身色んな経験であの複雑な頭の中に出来た感情と向き合う暇もないってことだろう。気付いてないなら言うけどな、お前ら何処か似てるぜ。他の誰にも理解出来ないことでも、お前たちなら解りあえるのかもしれない」


"I guess I hadn't thought of that."

「そういう風には考えてなかったよ」


"And," Han went on, "she already thinks of you as a good friend. I'd wager she hopes you'd say the same thing about her."

「それに、だ」ハンは続けた。
「彼女はもうお前のことを良い友だちだと思ってるぞ。お前もそうなら嬉しいと思ってるさ、賭けてもいい」


"Of course I would."

「勿論僕もそう思ってるよ」


"Then talk to her." The smuggler gave his friend a playful wink. "Besides, I think she's got an eye for you."

「じゃあ話しに行けよ」密輸業者は友人におどけた様子でウィンクしてみせた。
「それに、俺は彼女がお前に目を付けてると思うぜ」


The young man smiled for the first time since their discussion began, and color flushed his cheeks. "She's just being polite and diplomatic," he managed.

青年はそこで会話が始まってから初めての笑みを浮かべ、頬を赤らめた。
「レイアは気を使ってるだけだよ」彼はどうにかそう言った。


This time, Han did laugh. "Sure. Whatever you say, kid."

今度はハンは本当に笑った。
「そうだな、お前の言う通りだよキッド」


"Now wait a minute," Luke persisted. "Yes, I do care about Leia. I care about her a lot. And she is-- well, she is beautiful. But that doesn't mean that-- I mean, just because--"

「ちょっと待ってよ」ルークはそれにこだわった。
「レイアのことは好きだよ、大好きだよ。それに…その、美人だし。でもそれは、そういうことじゃ…」


Han, obviously amused at the young pilot's floundering, grinned and raised one eyebrow questioningly, suggestively.

若いパイロットが口籠るのを面白がるように、ハンはにやりと笑って、思わせぶりに片方の眉を上げてみせた。


Luke stopped his stuttering and stared down at his hands. "I don't know what I mean, really. All I do know is that what matters right now is that I want to be her friend. Anything else that might happen-- well, anything else isn't important."

ルークはどもるのをやめ、手の平を見つめた。
「本当に何て言ったらいいのかわからないんだ。今はただ彼女の友だちになりたい。それ以上のことは…その他の事はそんなに重要じゃないんだ」


Han, somewhat impressed by his friend's suddenly intent seriousness, considered that. It seemed the naive farmboy was growing up after all.

急に真剣さを帯びた友人の態度に少し感心して、ハンはしばし考えた。純粋な田舎育ちはここに来て成長しているのかもしれない。


"I'll think about what you said," Luke continued. "Maybe talking with Leia about some of this would help."

「考えておくよ。レイアとこういうことを話すのもいいかも知れない」


A brief silence passed before Han finally spoke a final concern. "There's just one more thing I want to mention. About this whole dream thing, you kept mentioning you could feel everything, as well as see it."

短い沈黙が流れ、ハンが最後の心配の種を口にした。
「あと一つ、言っておきたいことがある。夢の事でお前、見えるだけじゃなくて全部感じることができるって言ったな」


Luke nodded.

ルークは頷いた。


"Do you suppose this has anything at all to do with," Han paused, obviously uncomfortable with addressing the subject. "Could this be related in some way to your connection with the Force?"

「お前はその、これがあれと何か…」ハンは明かにその話題に触れるのが気まずい様子で、口籠った。「お前とフォースの繋がりが関係してるのか?」


Luke looked surprised. "I didn't think you believed in that."

ルークは驚いていた。
「あんたは信じてないんだと思ってた」


"Well, let's just say that I've been around enough to know what works, and what works for me is staying one step ahead of the game using my wits and my good aim with a blaster." The smuggler shrugged. "Maybe what works for you is something a little different. The old man certainly seemed to think so."

「まあ、俺は何がどうなって世界が動いてるのかが解るくらい人生経験をつんでるってことだ。勘とブラスターを頼りにゲームで一歩先んじるのが俺のやりかただ」彼は肩をすくめた。
「でもお前に関しては俺とは少し違うんだろうさ。少なくともあのじいさんはそう思ってたみたいだしな」


Mention of Luke's mentor, Ben Kenobi, reopened the floodgates of loss. "What difference does it make," Luke asked, a grievous edge in his tone.

ルークの助言者だったベン・ケノービの話題は喪失による傷口をこじ開けた。
「それに今更何の違いがあるのさ」傷みに縁取られた声音でルークが訊いた。


"I'd think it makes a big difference," Han replied.

「大きな違いだ」ハンが応えた。


Luke exploded, liberating the maelstrom of his frustration and grief. "But how am I supposed to know? What am I supposed to do about it? What good is it for me to have the Force when there's no one to train me now?"

ルークは憤慨と悲しみの渦をぶちまけた。
「でもどうやってそれを知ればいいの?僕はどうすればいいっていうの?フォースなんか持ってたって、使い方を教えてくれる人がいなきゃ、どうにもならないよ」


The Correlian looked contrite. "I'm sorry, Luke. I didn't mean to bring it all back up again."

コレリア人は済まなそうな顔をした。
「ルーク、悪かった。蒸し返すつもりはなかったんだ」


Luke shook his head. "It's not your fault." He wiped at tears that had suddenly fallen, unbidden down his cheeks. "I just miss Ben, that's all."

ルークは首を振った。
「あんたの所為じゃないよ」彼は突然溢れだして頬を伝った涙を拭った。
「べンがいなくなって寂しいんだ。それだけだよ」


Han touched the younger man's shoulder, offering what comfort he could.

ハンは与え得る限りの励ましをこめて青年の肩に手を置いた。


"I just feel so lost sometimes," Luke whispered. "There's so much I don't know."

「時々、どうしたらいいかわからなくなる」ルークが囁いた。
「解らないことが多すぎて」


"I wish I had some advice to offer," Han voiced with sincerity. "But most of what I know about Jedi consists of little more than cantina stories."

「助言の一つも出来りゃあいいんだが」ハンの声音は真剣だった。
「ジェダイについて俺が知ってることといえば、酒の上の噂話くらいしかないからな」


Luke nodded, acknowledging his friend's desire to help. He knew there had to be answers, somewhere. And in time he would find them. But for now Ben's loss was too fresh for him to feel anything but the ache. He wondered, with a sense of melancholy, when he would stop feeling so wearied by it all.

友人の親切心を受け入れる意味で、ルークは頷いた。何処かに答えはあるに違いない。 そのうちきっと見つけられるだろう。しかし今はまだベンの死が生々しすぎて、痛みを呼び覚ますものでしかなかった。物悲しい気分で、彼はいつになったら情けない気分にならずに済むだろうかと考えた。


"Well, it's getting late," Luke said after a long silence. "I'd better go."

「随分遅くなっちゃったね」長い沈黙の後でルークが言った。
「もう帰るよ」


"You're welcome to sleep on board tonight, if you want."

「ここに泊まっていってもいいんだぞ」


"I appreciate the offer, Han, but I'll pass."

「ありがとう、ハン、でも遠慮しとくよ」


"Well, just so you'll know, there's always an extra bunk here with your name on it."

「念のため言っておくが、ここにくればいつでもお前用の寝台があるからな」


Luke managed a slight smile, even as the thought occurred to him that the Falcon and her extra bunk was just as likely to be gone at any time. As much as it thrilled him to see Han still hanging around, the noncommittal way the Correlian captain continued to remain with the Alliance frustrated Luke terribly. But that was yet another battle, and one he didn't even care to acknowledge right now.

ルークは微かに笑ってみせたが、ファルコンと空の寝台がいついなくなってしまうか判らないことを考えずにはいられなかった。ハンが一緒にいてくれることが嬉しければ嬉しいほど、何も言わないままに軍と行動を共にする彼の曖昧な態度はルークを不安にさせた。しかしそれはまた別の問題で、今は触れたくなかった。


"I want to thank you again, for talking with me tonight. I feel like it's helped."

「話を聞いてくれて本当にありがとう。楽になった気がする」


The smuggler donned his lopsided grin once again. "That's what friends are for, right?"

密輸業者はまた右上がりの笑みを浮かべた。
「それが友だちってやつだろう?」


Luke's own smile came easily this time. "Always."

ルークも今度は無理なく微笑んでいた。
「そうだね」



+++ The End +++


<< PREV / NEXT >>



FEEDBACK (to Michelle Lunsford)

>> 翻訳者感想。


BACK