Eyes of the Jedi 4


Solo paused as he selected their next ascent. He turned and quickly described the terrain to the Tatooine youth. Luke nodded, drew on the Force and allowed it to guide his steps. Once he allowed all anxieties to flow from him and gave his complete confidence to the essence within, he found all his remaining senses heightened. He followed Solo's direction with the confidence and surefootedness of the sighted. Solo struggled weakly behind the boy, his eyes searching the foothills below them. He had thought he had seen movement once, but the semi-darkness of the barren world's day left him unsure.

ソロはしばし立ち止まり進路を選んだ。タトゥイーンの若者に向き直り地形をざっと説明する。 ルークは頷き、フォースを引き寄せ自らの歩みを導かせた。不安を残らず昇華させ、内なる力に全てを委ねると残された感覚が全て研ぎ澄まされるのを感じた。まるで目が見えているかのようにしっかりとして確信に満ちた足取りでソロが決めた方角をたどる。彼らの下に広がる丘陵地帯に目を向けたまま、弱々しくよろめきながらソロがその後に続いた。一度、何かが動いたのを見たと思ったのだが、荒れ果てた世界の薄暗い昼間がそれを不確かなものにしていた。


They were forced to rest often, their lungs demanding more oxygen than the sterile world could give. Both longed for water, their systems crying for the life-giving moisture. They tried to ignore their needs. Luke had felt about their pathways until he had found several smooth, round stones and had handed several to Han. They sucked on them greedily.

枯れきったその星が供給してくれる酸素は彼らの肺が必要とする量には足りず、何度も休憩する羽目になった。二人とも水を渇望していた。体が生命の源である水分を欲して悲鳴を上げている。彼らは出来るだけその欲求を無視しようとしていた。手探りで進むルークが滑らかな丸い石をいくつか見つけてハンに手渡すと、 彼らはその石を飢えたようにしゃぶった。


"Han!"

「ハン!」


The warning came unexpectedly, but the Corellian reacted from years of practice. He threw himself to the ground. A flash, and an energy beam struck the boulder only steps from them.

その警告は突然だったが、コレリア人は長年の経験からすばやく反応し地面に身を投げ出した。閃光が閃き、一歩と離れていない岩場を光線が襲った。


He fought awkwardly for his own weapon as he searched the terrain below for signs of their pursuer.

眼下に広がる岩場に攻撃者の影を探しながら、自らの武器をぎこちない手つきで手繰り寄せる。


Luke had taken shelter behind a boulder only paces from Solo. Han thanked the boy's instincts that had saved their lives.

ルークはソロのすぐそばの岩陰に避難していた。ハンは彼らの命を救ってくれた青年の勘に感謝した。


He waited. The palm of his hand wet about the grip of his weapon, he watched the silent foothills. They couldn't stay here, he argued with himself, they were too exposed to the enemy somewhere below. He longed to send Luke on while he covered his back, but fear kept him from making the decision. A wrong step and the boy could pitch and fall to his death. Neither could Luke move from one rock field to the next, using them as protection from the danger below. He couldn't use what he couldn't see. Han swore helplessly. His vision blurred from his growing weakness and a rising fever he had felt begin hours before. He had to stay on his feet - alert - or they would likely die.

彼は待った。静かな山裾を見渡しながら武器を握る手は汗ばんでいる。いつまでもここにいるわけにはいかない、眼下に潜む敵から見えすぎている。自分が援護している間にルークを先へ行かせたかったが、恐怖が決心を鈍らせていた。一歩でも踏み間違えば青年は崖から奈落の底へと落ちてしまう。ルークは岩から岩へと身を守りながら進むことも出来ないだろう。見えないものを使うことなど不可能だ。ハンはどうしようもない苛立ちを吐き出した。弱る体と何時間も前から上がりつづけている熱に視界がぼやける。立って警戒を解くことなく進みつづけなければ、彼らを待つものはおそらく死しかない。


Something moved below him. His hand tightened as he forced himself to wait. A figure moved cautiously into the open, a laser rifle moving to his shoulder as he prepared to shoot. Solo drew a deep breath, held it and squeezed off a careful shot left-handed. The blaster bucked in his weakened grip, the energy bolt erupting, sending its deadly beam toward the surprised being. He faltered, the rifle forgotten, as the beam struck the rocks at his feet. They rolled and the being fell, the boulders about him protecting him from the other shots Solo sent downward.

彼の眼下で何かが動いた。手を握り締める力が強まり、待てと自身に言い聞かせる。人影が用心深く姿を表し、ライフル銃を肩に構えて発射しようとした。ソロは深く息を吸い込んで、溜めたまま左手で慎重に一撃を放った。ブラスターは弱々しい手の中で火を噴いてはね上がり、驚愕する男へと殺人的な閃光を送った。足元の岩に光線が当たり、男はライフル銃を忘れてたじろいだ。撃たれた岩が転がり、その人影は倒れた。ソロが再び下方に向けて放った一撃は岩に阻まれ届かなかった。


Solo scrambled up. "Luke, get moving while he's pinned down - hurry! I can't keep - him down - long. Be careful!"

ソロは急いで立ち上がった。
「ルーク、奴が伏せてるうちに早く行け!そう長くは…奴を、食い止められない…。気をつけろよ!」


Skywalker pushed into a protected ridge of a boulder field and stopped. He stiffened as rocks rolled under rushing feet. He moved aside and reached for the stumbling Corellian. A welcomed hand touched and grasped his.

ルークは周囲から隔絶された岩場の絶壁に出て止まった。足早に進むその足下で石が転がり、彼の身体がこわばった。その場所から退いてよろめくコレリア人へと手を伸ばすと、待ちかねた手が触れ、彼の手を握った。


"'S all right. I'm right - here - "

「大丈夫だ。俺は…ここにいる…」


Together they slid down, their backs to the rock walls of their natural fortress.

自然の城壁を背にして、二人は共に滑り降りた。


"How far down is he?"

「相手はどれくらい下にいるの?」


"'Bout the place where we started that hard - climb over the first ridge - he ain't gonna be too quick to - follow us - just now. He got careless - got into my range - " Han panted, his breathing tormented anguish.

「俺たちがきつい登りに入った…最初の崖の辺りだ……今のところは…急いで追ってはこないだろう。うっかり…俺の射程範囲内に…入っちまったからな――」
ハンは喘いだ。呼吸がまるで拷問のような痛みを引き起こす。


"You've bought us some time," Luke finished softly.

「時間を稼いだんだね」ルークが静かに締めくくった。


Solo nodded. He leaned against the cold stone, the blaster still clinched in a left-handed grip, he breathed deeply.

ソロは頷いた。左手にブラスターを握り締めたままで冷たい岩にもたれ、深く息をつく。


"Luke, I think I'm getting a fever - I'm warmer - than I should be - "

「ルーク、熱が出てきてる…普段より…身体が熱い…」


Skywalker felt for his friend's body, touched, identified Solo's bared chest and moved his hand upward. His feathery touch found Solo's lips, his cheek and settled on a very warm forehead.

友人の身体に手を伸ばし、触れた裸の胸から上へと手を動かす。掠めるような手がソロの唇に触れ、頬から温かすぎる額へと止まった。


"Yes. How long?"

「そうみたいだね。いつから?」


"Don't know - for sure. Climbing - I didn't notice it. Luke - if I pass out - "

「自分でも…よくわからん。登ってるときは…気づかなかった。ルーク…もし俺が倒れたら…」


"You haven't yet." Luke commented softly. "We'll worry about it if and when it happens. The beacon's signal is strong - we just need time - "

「あんたはまだ立ってるよ」ルークが静かに言った。
「倒れてから心配すればいい。発信機は強い信号を出してる、時間さえあれば…」


"It's running out - Luke."

「時間はどんどん減ってるぜ…ルーク」


Skywalker shook his head in stubborn denial. "We'll make it - there's only one of him - we're above him. "

ルークは頑なな否定に首を振った。
「僕らは助かるよ…相手は一人だし、こっちの方が高い位置にいる」


"And we've got to stay above him - or we're dead."

「このまま奴より高いところにいないと…俺たちはお終いだ」


"Are you ready to move?"

「動けそう?」


The Corellian's handsome mouth pulled into the familiar lopsided smile that could not be seen by the Jedi. "No, but I don't like - the idea of - dying here. Would make one - big - Wookiee - damned mad - if he got here and only had a corpse to pick - up."

ジェダイには見えないコレリア人の端正な口元が、見慣れた右上がりの笑みをかたどった。
「いや、でも…こんな場所で死ぬのは…ごめんだ。もし死体しか回収できないことになったら、 かんかんになるでかいウーキーがいるからな」


"A mad Wookiee I can do without. Let's go." Luke got to his feet and held out a hand to the Corellian. Solo struggled to shaky legs, allowing Luke to again steady him. "Any dizziness?"

「怒ったウーキーなんてごめんだね。行こう」
ルークは立ち上がりコレリア人へと手を差し伸べた。震える足でなんとか立ち上がり、ソロは再びルークを支えに使った。
「眩暈は?」


"Some blurred vision - now and then - " Solo admitted. "Could be the concussion, the weakness or even the fever - just keep me up - and moving - "

「時々…目が霞む…」ソロは認めた。
「墜落の後遺症か、身体が弱ってる所為か――熱かもしれん…なんとかこのまま、進んでいけば…」


Solo studied the barren, cold, boulder field about them. He could think of only one direction - upward. He pointed Luke to the trail and described the footing. Luke started off, Solo a close, protecting step behind him.

ソロは眼前の荒々しく冷たい絶壁を見渡した。考えられる進路は一つしかなかった――上だ。 ルークをそちらの方向に向かせ、地表の様子を説明する。歩き始めたルークの後ろを庇うようにソロが追った。


Several more times they were shot at from a distance, but their pursuer made no attempt to get into Solo's blaster range. He merely followed and waited. In time, Solo reminded himself, it would pay off. He was reaching the end of his tough Corellian endurance.

何度か遠くから銃撃されたが、追撃者は二度とソロの射程内に入ろうとはしなかった。敵はただ彼らの後を追って待っていた。もうすぐだ、とソロは自分に言い聞かせた。この苦労もきっと報われるだろう。コレリア人の忍耐力も限界に来ていた。


He stopped to catch his breath and to holster the blaster he had found suddenly too heavy to carry, and watched in fuzzy fascination the small figure far below them moving slowly, steadily upward. He moved a shaky hand to his face, the heat of his growing fever a very real danger to their situation. And for a moment, his attention was away from the young Jedi.

一息ついて、突然重く感じたブラスターをホルスターに戻すために立ち止まると、彼は遥か下方からゆっくりと一歩一歩登ってくる小さな人影をぼんやりと見つめた。震える手を顔にやる。上がりつづける熱が状況の危険度を増していた。そして彼の注意は一瞬だけ年若いジェダイから離れていた。


He glanced upward, then pulled quickly away from the granite wall. Luke had not been aware of his stop but had continued on, his steps angling sharply toward the southern edge of the ridges they followed. Solo swore in sudden fear and pushed forward urgently on sluggish legs.

顔を上げると、彼はすばやく花崗岩の壁から身を離した。ルークは彼が立ち止まったことに気づかないまま、彼らがたどっていた尾根の南側の崖に向かってまっすぐ歩きつづけていた。突如として込み上げた恐怖に悪態をつき、ソロはよろめく足で急いで先へ進んだ。


"Luke - stop. Wait for me." Solo pushed himself, fearful of the unsighted friend, who walked perilously close to the edge of the narrow, ancient pathway. "Luke - stop!"

「ルーク…止まれ。行くな」
太古の狭い細道の南端に危険なほど近づいていく目の見えない友人への恐怖に、ソロは自分を駆り立てた。
「ルーク…待て!」


The young Jedi stopped and turned toward the Corellian's urgent shout. He stood a step from the sheer drop.

青年が立ち止まり、コレリア人の差し迫った叫び声に振り向く。彼は切り立った崖からほんの一歩前に立っていた。


Solo grabbed the boy and shoved him into the rock wall, away from the drop. His arms shaking, he held the boy tightly. His breathing ragged - scared.

ソロは青年を掴むと彼を崖から引き離し岩壁に押し付けた。震える腕で、彼は青年をきつく抱きしめた。呼吸は恐怖で乱れていた。


"Han, it's all right."

「ハン、大丈夫だよ」


"One step - one more damned step - "

「あと一歩…くそ、あと一歩で…」


"Han, I'm all right." There was no fear in Luke's voice. "I - sensed the edge. I would not have fallen."

「僕は平気だよ」ルークの声に恐怖はなかった。
「縁がどこか気づいてたんだ。落ちることはなかったと思う」


Solo slid down. Spent. Weary. A gentle hand touched his face, his closed eyes, his flushed cheeks and his dry-cracked lips then settled on the dry, crusty bandage about his shoulder.

ソロはずるずるとしゃがみこんだ。疲弊し、疲れきっていた。労わるような手が顔に触れ、閉じた瞼と熱をはらんだ頬、乾いてひび割れた唇をたどり肩の乾燥して堅くなった包帯の上に止まった。


"A little further, Han, just a little further. Along this ridge and about twelve - fifteen meters upward - "

「もう少しだよ、ハン。もうあと少し。この崖にそってあと12――15メートルくらい登れば…」


"What?" Han opened red-rimmed, fever-brightened eyes and settled his hazy gaze on the boy's sightless eyes. "I can't, Luke. You go on. I'll cover you - he won't get by me - easy - "

「何?」赤く充血し熱の所為でぎらつく瞳を開けて、霞みがかかった眼差しを青年の光の無い両眼に向けた。
「俺には無理だ、ルーク。お前は先に行け。俺がここで奴を食い止める…簡単には…通さない…」


"No." Luke refused strongly. "We've come this far together. We'll go all the way. It's time to make our stand, but not here. Trust me, Han. Just a little further - just a little further - "

「駄目だよ」ルークは強い語気で突っぱねた。
「ここまで二人で来たんだから、最後まで二人で行くんだ。立ち向かわなきゃならない時だけど、ここじゃ駄目だ。僕を信じて、ハン。あと少し…もう少しなんだ…」


Solo slowly shook his head in puzzlement. "I don't know - what - how you can - " Solo paused, his Corellian instincts sensing strengths within the boy his common sense tried to deny. He gave in to them. "Kid - I'd follow you into hell - if you - thought strongly on it. Get me up."

ソロは困惑にゆっくり首を振った。
「わからんな…お前はどうして…どうやって…」
彼の中の常識が否定しようとした青年が内包する力強さをコレリア人の第六感が察知し、彼は言葉をとぎらせた。その感覚に身を任せる。
「キッド……お前が…そこまでそう思うんだったら、俺は…地獄にでもついてくぜ。立たせてくれ」


Luke helped the bigger man to his feet. Han swayed and put his back to the firmness of granite.

ルークは背の高い友人が立ち上がるのに手を貸した。ハンはよろめいて花崗岩の頑丈な壁に寄りかかった。


A sound, all but obliterated by Solo's movement, sent the Jedi into a crouch. With a flash of speed, Han could barely follow, Luke drew the spacer's blaster from his holster, spun and fired in one smooth, fluid motion. The blaster spoke urgently, and a figure pulled back behind the ridge only meters from him.

ソロが身動きしたことでかき消された微かな音にルークが伏せた。ルークはハンが追いつけそうもない瞬くようなすばやさで、彼のホルスターからブラスターを引き抜くと流れるような身のこなしで一撃を放った。ブラスターから鬼気迫る一撃が放たれ、数メートルしか離れていない岩陰で人影が退いた。


"Let's move - quick!"

「行こう…速く!」


"How?" Solo stood, stunned.

「どうやって?」ソロは呆気にとられ立ちすくんだ。


Luke grabbed his arm and shoved the Corellian toward the trail.

ルークは彼の腕を掴んで進路の方向へとコレリア人を押しやった。


Han recoiled from the vacant stare of the blinded youth, but stumbled forward, guided by Luke's urgent directions.

ハンは盲目の青年の空虚な眼差しに射すくめられ躊躇したが、ルークが強引に示す方角に従い、おぼつかない足取りで先へ進んだ。


The blaster spoke again, but Solo kept his attention on his moving feet, and the absolute concentration it took to put one foot before the other. He continued, his pain, his weariness, a numbness to his body and his mind.

ブラスターが再び火を噴いたが、ソロは足を動かすことに集中力を奪われていた。彼は進みつづけた。痛みと弱々しさが意識と身体を麻痺させる。


"Here - down!"

「ここだ――降りて!」


Solo crumbled wearily down. His eyes closed and he remembered nothing else.

ソロは弱々しく崩れ落ちた。目を閉じたのを最後に、ソロは意識を失った。




<< PREV / NEXT >>


BACK