Eyes of the Jedi 5


"Han."

「ハン」


He couldn't say how he knew he must fight the comfort the darkness offered, but urgency brought him up through wave upon wave of pain, discomfort, thirst, and bone-wrenching weariness. Something refused to allow him to give up.
'I've done all I can.'
The thought pleaded to allow him to draw back the darkness. Another voice refused.
'It's not his fight - you can't allow him to die. His star is just rising,' the voice argued.
'So many may die if he does not live - if you can not believe in the Force within him, believe in his goodness, his willingness to offer all for those he cares for - to others in the fight against oppression.'
Han fought to drive the voice from his lethargic mind.


闇がもたらす充足感に逆らうことなど出来ないように思えたが、焦りが彼を波のように襲いくる苦痛と喉の乾き、そして骨の髄まで痺れさせる弱々しさから引きずり上げた。何かが、彼が諦めてしまうことを許さなかった。
(出来ることは全てやったんだ)
その思いは闇の中に戻ることを懇願していた。もう一つの声がそれをはねつけた。
(これはあの子の戦いではない…見捨ててはならん。あの子の星はまだ生まれたばかりだ)
その声は反論した。
(彼が生き残らなければ沢山の人々が命を落とすことになる…あの子の善きフォースを、無償の情愛を、共に重圧と闘う仲間に全てを傾けるひたむきな心を、信じるのだ)
ハンはその声を朦朧とする意識から追い出そうと足掻いた。


"Hocus pocus - nonsense - the fever - "

「いんちきな魔術だ…くだらねえ…熱が…」


"Han." The voice was familiar, right and heavy with fear.

「ハン」聞こえた声は深い恐怖に縁取られていたが、しっかりとして馴染みのあるものだった。


"Luke - "

「ルーク…」


Luke Skywalker drew a deep breath. He guided the spacer into a comfortable position, his back again to the dark wall of solid granite.

ルーク・スカイウォーカーは深く息をついた。彼はハンの背中を再び固い花崗岩の壁に預けて、楽な姿勢をとらせた。


"Welcome back. I was afraid I was going to be talking to myself."

「おかえり。独り言を言うことになるんじゃないかって不安だったよ」


Han opened blood-shot eyes, blinked, then gazed in wide-eyed wonderment past the young Jedi. They sat on the edge of a flat bowl-shaped depression that might have been an ancient crater; once fertile, alive, beautiful. Now long dead, sterile as the rest of the world, but here ground was hard, level and as big as a spaceport.

充血した眼を開けてしばたくと、ハンは見開いた瞳に驚きを浮かべて若いジェダイの向こうを見やった。彼らは太古の昔豊かに息づいていた美しいクレーターだったらしきボウル状のくぼ地の隅に座っていた。今は周囲の世界と同じく死んだように荒れ果てたその場所の地表は固く平らで、宇宙港ほどの広さがあった。


"How did you find - "

「どうやってここを…」


A sad smile touched the otherwise vacant-eyed expression of the boy. "I sensed it."

空虚な瞳に哀しげな笑みが浮かんだ。「感じたんだ」


Another thought brought the Corellian to his knees as he attempted to stand. Luke helped him up.

新たな不安が過り、立ち上がろうとしたコレリア人は膝をついた。ルークが立ちあがるのに手を貸した。


"Where's - how long was I out?"

「奴は…俺はどれくらい気を失ってた?」


"Only moments, but he can't be far behind. We'll be ready for him."

「ほんの少しだけ、でも敵はもうすぐそこまで来てるよ。ここで待ち伏せるんだ」


A warmth spread throughout the spacer's weariness. He met the strength he felt radiating from the youth. His hazel eyes hardened. "Yeah - we'll be ready - " He glanced at the trail. "We run no further."

操縦士の弱った心身にあたたかいものが広がった。彼は青年から溢れ出る力強さを正面から受け止めた。
「ああ…いつでも来いだ…」ハンはたどってきた道を振り返った。
「これ以上逃げはしない」


"The beacon's sending a strong signal. Chewie's on his way."

「発信機が強い信号を送ってる。もうすぐチューイが来るよ」


"Those senses again?" Solo questioned lightly.

「また『感じた』のか?」


"No. Hope," Luke fenced gently.

「いや、希望さ」ルークが穏やかに返した。


Solo glanced about them. The place the young Jedi had selected for their stand was perfect. He studied the sightless youth in puzzled speculation. It had to be luck, the boy's inbred desert instincts - or was it? Why had the voice within his fever-ridden mind sounded like that of Old Ben Kenobi? He shook the threads of bewilderment from his mind.
"I want you out of range." He assessed their position.
"If I can just - stay on my feet - there's so - damned much pain - "


ソロは眼下を見渡した。若いジェダイが陣地に選んだ場所は完璧だった。彼はいぶかしげに盲目の青年を探るような目つきで観察した。きっとこれは運と砂漠育ちの勘に違いない──しかし本当にそうだろうか?熱におかされた意識の中で聞いた声が、何故あのベン・ケノービのもののように聞こえたのだろうか?彼は微かな動揺を振り払うように首を振った。
「お前は下がってろ」彼は立ち位置を指し示した。
「俺が…立ってさえいられれば──畜生、体が…痛ぇ…」


"There's only one approach," Luke commented. "He can't get behind or above us."

「ここに来る道は一つしかない」ルークが言った。
「あいつは僕たちの背後や頭上には来られないよ」


"Luke, Kid, you can't know that - " Solo swore helplessly, unable to speak of the youth's sightlessness. "I don't want you buying into - this."

「ルーク…キッド、お前にそんなことわかるはずが…」青年の目のことを口に出せずに、ソロは力なく悪態をついた。
「俺はお前にかかわってほしくないんだ」


"What do you want me to do? Nothing?" Luke asked softly. There was no time to make a believer of the skeptical Corellian.

「じゃあ僕に何もしないでいろっていうの?」ルークが静かに尋ねた。現実主義のコレリア人に何かを信じさせるには時間が足りなかった。


"He won't see me until he makes that first turn - for a moment he'll be distracted by that crater. He won't be expecting it. Then I take him. If he wants to make a fight of it - "

「奴はあそこで曲がるまで俺に気づかない…多分一瞬だけあのクレーターに気を取られる。予測できていない筈だ。そこを俺が仕留める。奴がそれに抵抗しようとするなら…」


Luke nodded in agreement, as he silently made his own plans.

頷いて賛同を示しながら、ルークは黙って自分の計画を練った。


Fett moved arrogantly up the narrow trail, his steps firm, eager, as he topped the ridge. They had reached the top. They could avoid him no longer. Twice, he had seen the Corellian go down. The man was finished, his returned fire sporadic and wild, except for one blast that had barely missed him.

フェットは狭い道を傲然と登っていた。力強く、何かを待ちわびた足取りで、彼は崖にたどり着いた。あの二人はもう逃げることが出来ない。彼はコレリア人が二度も崩れ落ちるのを目にしていた。あの男はもう弱りきっている。撃ち返す銃弾は彼をかすめた一発を除いて激しく散発的だった。


He cautiously moved to the crest, and halted in amazement; the crater capturing his first glance, Han Solo his second.

慎重に頂上へと歩を進めると、クレーターに続いてハン・ソロが視界に入り彼は驚いて足を止めた。


"I believe - you're looking for me - Bounty Hunter."

「俺を…探してるんだろう──賞金稼ぎさんよ」


"Solo. It's been an interesting hunt. The boy slowed you down or you might have eluded me entirely." There was a strangely hollow sound to the being's laughter. "Of course, where could you have gone? This was my game - my deal. I'm afraid I cheated and stacked the deck."

「面白い狩りをさせてもらったよ、ソロ。あの少年が足手まといにならなければ、貴様は逃げおおせていたかもしれない」男の笑い声は奇妙に空虚だった。
「どこにも逃げられはしないがな。これは俺のゲーム…俺が仕掛けた勝負だ。俺はルールに反してカードを改竄したというわけだ」


The crooked smile pulled at the Corellian's handsome mouth. "No one stacks a deck against me, Friend. I always have a trump - "

コレリア人の端正な口元に歪んだ笑みが浮かんだ。「俺は誰にもカードを用意させないんだよ。いつも自分で持ち歩いてるんでね…」


Again the strange laughter echoed about the crater. "You're out of cards, Solo. You can't play the ones you have. You're barely able to stay on your feet. Your gunhand's unsteady, another minute or two, and you're going down. I have only to wait."

再び奇妙な笑い声がクレーターにこだました。
「もう手札がないようだなソロ。お前は自分のカードでは勝負できない。立っているのがやっとだろう。銃を持つ手すらおぼつかない、あと数分もすればお前は倒れる。俺はただ待っていればいい」


Solo's eyes were hardened flint as he fought the weakness that threatened them.
"Why wait? Why not just shoot me?"


ソロの瞳は険しく細められ、それらを侵す弱々しさと闘っていた。
「何故待つんだ?どうして今すぐ俺を撃たない?」


"You're worth more to me alive, Solo."

「生きたままの方が俺にとって有益になる」


Han's hand tightened on the butt of his blaster.
"The Empire - "


ブラスターのグリップを握り締めるハンの手に力がこもった。
「帝国か…」


"You've stirred up a lot of trouble, Corellian. And, while I'm sure the Empire would pay handsomely for proof of your demise, another pays better for the privilege of your unwilling company - "

「お前は騒ぎを起こしすぎた。帝国軍がお前が死んだという証しにそれなりの額を払う一方で、お前を無理矢理生け捕るのにもっと良い値をつける輩もいる」


"Jabba? The Hut's put a bounty on - my head." Disbelief flickered across the handsome features of Han Solo.

「ジャバか?ハット族が…俺の首に賞金をかけた」ソロの整った容貌に疑惑がよぎった。


"You know your enemies," Fett commented in respect. "Few of my contracts know who seek them."

「自分の敵が解っているようだな」フェットは感心したように言った。
「俺が狙う輩の殆どは誰に追われているか解っていないぞ」


The armored figure moved arrogantly, confidently toward the injured spacer.

鎧の男は悠然と確かな足取りで傷を負ったパイロットへと近づいていった。


"It's not going to be that easy, Hunter."

「あんたの思い通りにはさせないよ、賞金稼ぎさん」


Fett whirled at the soft voice. He stopped at the sight of the slender youth standing before him, his legs, shoulder width apart, his hands together about the hilt of a metal tube. A touch to a small stud and two meters of blue-white energy leaped from the weapon.

穏やかな声にフェットは素早く振り向いた。脚を肩幅に開き、鉄の武器の柄を両手で握ったすらりとした少年の姿に、彼は動きを止めた。少年が小さな突起に触れると、2メートル程の青白い刃が武器から飛び出した。


"Leave the kid out of this!" Solo shouted, naked fear in his faltering voice. "You want me - he's worth nothing to you - he's blind!" Desperation tightened Solo's hand. His vision was blurred. A roaring in his ears warned of returning oblivion. His strength rapidly failing, he wavered before the hunter.

「そいつに手を出すな!」直面した恐怖に震える声でソロが叫んだ。
「お前が狙ってるのはこの俺だろう…そんなガキお前にとっちゃなんの価値もないはずだ…そいつは目が見えないんだぞ!」
焦燥にかられ、ソロの手に力が篭もった。視界は霞んでいた。再び遠のいていく意識に警鐘を鳴らすように、酷い耳鳴りが響いていた。見る間に気力を失い、彼は狩人の眼前でよろめいた。


"I would like to, Solo, but I don't think he's going to let me." There was amusement in the being's deep voice.
"Your weakness, Solo, every man has them - they need only be found."


「俺も放っておきたいんだがな、ソロ、本人がそうさせてはくれないようだ」男の低い声には感心したような響きがあった。
「こいつがお前の弱点だ、ソロ。どんな奴でも弱みを持っている…暴いてやればいいだけのことだ」


The boy stood confidently before the deadly hunter, the glow of his strange weapon reflecting eerily from the pale-blue, obviously sightless eyes.

少年は自信を漲らせて獰猛な狩人の前に立ちはだかり、奇妙な武器の放つ輝きが、空虚な薄い青の瞳に妖しい光を投げかけていた。


"A crossfire?" The being laughed.
"You were desperate, Solo. Throw down the blaster. Surrender to me and I'll let the boy go. Make a move to level it and I'll kill him - here - now, in front of you."


「挟み撃ちのつもりか?」男は笑った。
「相当切羽詰まっていたようだな、ソロ。ブラスターを捨てろ。降伏すればガキは逃がしてやる。一つでも変な動きをしたらそのガキを殺すぞ…ここで、今すぐ、貴様の目の前でだ」


There was a strange expression on the boy's face. Fett could find no other word to describe it, but undaunted.

少年の顔には奇妙な表情が浮かんでいた。恐れを知らない、という以外にどう言い表せばいいのか、フェットにはわからなかった。


"No, Han." The boy spoke knowingly. "He's not going to take you."

「だめだよ、ハン」少年の口ぶりは自信に満ちていた。「そいつの狙い通りにはさせない」


"Luke, I can't let you - "

「ルーク、俺はお前に──」


"Hunter, to take him, you must take me - "

「ハンを捕まえたいなら、僕を倒せ…」


"Forget him. He can't hurt you." Han swore. Fear sent his finger to the trigger. He threw himself to the ground as he drew the hunter's first shot away from Luke.

「放っとけ。そいつは何も出来やしない」
ハンは悪態をついた。恐怖が指をトリガーへと導いた。地面に身を投げ出すと、彼は賞金稼ぎの一撃をルークから逸らした。


He hit hard, rolled as he fired, his shots missing the moving figure as he tried to summon the strength to level the heavy weapon at the advancing armored being. There was no reserves left. His vision blurred and he drifted between reality and the darkness of oblivion. He groaned as the weariness claimed him.

したたかに身体を打ちつけ転がりながら放った攻撃は動く標的を逸れ、ハンは重い武器を襲いくる鎧の男へ向けるための力を集約させようとした。もう残った力などどこにもなかった。視界が歪み、彼は現実と無意識の闇との間を彷徨った。弱々しさに陥落し、彼は呻いた。


"Out of the way, Boy. I don't want you. Just him."

「そこを退け。俺が欲しいのは貴様じゃない。ソロだけだ」


A strangely peaceful smile played over the boy's lips as he moved to place himself between the hunter and his quarry.

不思議な程に穏やかな笑みを口元に浮かべながら、少年が狩人とその標的の間に移動した。


There was no anger, no fear, no hatred in the sightless eyes, only unquestioning belief in what he intended.

光の無い瞳には怒りも恐れも憎しみもなかった。そこにあるのはただ己の意思に対する揺るぎない信念だけだった。


"You can't take him. I would suggest you leave now while you still can."

「ハンは渡さない。いまのうちに逃げた方がいいと思うよ」


"Luke."

「ルーク」


"It's okay, Han. Chewie's on the way."

「心配しないで、ハン。チューイがここに向かってる」


The Corellian tried to get up, but could not. He lay still.

立ち上がろうとしたが、出来なかった。彼はじっと横たわっていた。


"All right, boy, we do this your way." The laser rifle came up, its deadly muzzle leveling on the sightless Jedi. Still, the youth made no move to defend himself. "One last time. Get away from him. Your death is pointless. You're worth nothing to me. He is. I won't leave without him. He's too damned hard to find."

「仕方ないな、貴様が望むようにしてやる」レーザーライフルの銃口が上がり、盲目のジェダイへと向けられた。それでもまだ少年は、自身を庇うような動きは見せなかった。
「これが最後だ、退け。お前の死は意味が無い。俺に利益をもたらすのは貴様じゃない、そいつだ。その男を置いて立ち去るつもりはない。そいつを見つけるのは並大抵のことじゃないんだからな」


The boy remained as before, only the blade of the strange weapon seemed to intensify at the hunter's words.

少年は態度を変えず、不思議な剣の刃だけが激しさを増したようだった。




<< PREV / NEXT >>


BACK