Eyes of the Jedi 6


His finger tightened on the trigger and the rifle spoke. The beam, speeding toward the unprotected body of the youth, was suddenly met, engaged and parried by the blade of the energy weapon. The sightless boy moved with the grace, assurance and speed of the fully sighted. Twice more, the armored being fired and watched the blade of the strange weapon attract and deflect the bolts almost leisurely.

引き金にかかった指に力が込められ、ライフルが火を噴いた。少年の無防備な身体へと突き進んでいった光線は突然光の刃に遮られ、はじかれた。盲目の少年はまるで目が見えているかのように優雅で確信に満ちた動きを見せた。鎧の男は更に二発を放ち、奇妙な武器が攻撃を捕らえ緩慢にさえ見える余裕でそれをはじき返すのを見つめた。


He lowered the rifle and the boy returned to his shoulder-width stance the saber before him, the blade reflecting from his sightless, ageless eyes.

銃を下ろすと少年は元の構えに戻り、セイバーは再び光の無い衰えた瞳へ光を投げかけた。


"Who are you?" The being whispered.

「お前は誰だ?」男が囁いた。


"Luke Skywalker."

「ルーク・スカイウォーカー」


"The Jedi are no more!" The statement was spoken with little conviction.

「ジェダイは滅んだはずだ!」その言葉は確信を欠いていた。


"Perhaps - perhaps not. I think you had best leave while you can. You will not take him today."

「もしかしたら…そうじゃないかもしれない。逃げられるうちに行った方がいいよ。今回ハンを捕まえるのは無理だ」


The being stiffened at the boy's softly spoken statement of the obvious.

少年が静かに言い放った明らかな事実に、男の身体が強張った。


"Not today." The being agreed and shouldered his weapon. "The Wookiee is coming?

「今回はやめておこう」男は同意し武器を肩に下げた。
「ウーキーが来るのか?」


"Yes."

「そうだ」


Boba Fett made no attempt to question the youth's confident reply.

フェットは少年の確信に満ちた応えの根拠を問いただそうとはしなかった。


"Solo, he picks his friends well. Always his weaknesses prove to be his strengths. But you will not always be there. I'm a patient man. I get what I contract for. We'll meet again."

「ソロ、味方を選ぶのが上手い奴だ。弱点だと思ったことがいつも結局強さだとわかる。しかしお前が傍にいないときもあるだろう。俺は忍耐強い。契約した報酬は必ず手に入れる。お前とはまた会うだろう」


"Yes. We'll meet again." Luke whispered the words. He was unaware when the being turned and disappeared over the crest of the ridge.

「ああ、また会うさ」ルークはその言葉を小さく囁いた。ルークは男が頂を越えて姿を消したことに気づかないでいた。


There was sadness, anxiety in Skywalker's face. For a moment he had seen a vision; of pain, of suffering, of friends tortured because of him. And, in the haze of his vision he saw an armored being - a being he had never actually seen. A cold wind touched his forehead and he shivered.

悲しみと不安がスカイウォーカーの顔に浮かんだ。刹那、彼は一つの光景を見た。悲痛と苦しみ、そして自分の所為で傷めつけられる友の姿。そしてそのぼんやりとした映像の中には鎧の男がいた…まだ彼が実際には会ったことの無い男が。額に冷たい風が触れて、ルークは震えた。


"No." He whispered aloud.
"Let no one suffer - not like that - ever - not - for me."


「嫌だ」彼はその囁きを口に出した。
「誰も傷つかないで…こんな風に…絶対に……僕の、ためなんかに」


"Luke? Kid, are you - "

「ルーク?キッド、お前…」


"Fine." Luke shook the vision from his mind. He reached out for the hand of his friend. The men's hands joined, each conveying the trust, caring and love for the other.
"He's gone."


「大丈夫」未来の記憶を振り払うと、ルークは友の掌へと手を伸ばした。つながれた互いの手から信頼と労わり、そして情愛が伝わった。
「あいつは行っちゃったよ」


"Luke - can you - "

「ルーク…お前も…」


Luke wrenched his Force-sensitive mind away from the disturbing vision and listened.
"It's a ship."


フォースに敏感な神経を不穏な予知夢から引き剥がし、彼は耳を欹てた。
「船だね」


"The Falcon. I was afraid I was hearing things - help me up - "

「ファルコンだ。幻聴かと思ったぜ…手を貸してくれ…」


Luke pulled the Corellian to his feet and steadied him as the spacer gazed skyward.

ルークはコレリア人が立ち上がるのに手を貸すと、空を仰ぐパイロットの身体を支えた。


Over the ridges behind them sailed the familiar shape of the Millennium Falcon. She rocked from port to starboard and back again in greeting.

背後の頂からミレニアム=ファルコンが見慣れたその姿を現した。彼女は挨拶代わりに機体を左右に揺らしてみせた。


"I wish you could see her. She's beautiful."

「お前にも見せたかったぜ。いい眺めだ」


"I see her."

「見えるよ」


"Yeah - maybe you do. Those senses of yours are damned unsettling at times - "

「ああ…お前には見えるのかもな。お前の感覚は時々、想像の域を越えてるからな…」


"No, Han. I see her!"

「違うんだ、ハン。見えるんだよ!」


Solo glanced quickly at the youth. Luke's eyes were open, bright, streaming tears, but focused and seeing.

ソロは素早く青年に目を向けた。見開かれたルークの瞳は輝き、とめどなく涙をながしていたが確かに焦点を合わせ、「見て」いた。


There was a Jump in the Corellian's throat he made no attempt to talk around; instead, thankful, hazel eyes met and held on pale-blue, knowing ones.

喉の奥に込み上げたものを、コレリア人は決して口にしようとはせず、言葉の代わりに、感謝を湛えたハシバミ色の瞳が何かを悟ったような淡い青の対を受け止め、見つめた。


"Sometimes a man has to be blind - to see."

「何かを解るためには…見えない方がいいこともあるんだね」


"Maybe." Solo whispered past his emotion.
"And, maybe he has to be blind to make a friend see."


「そうかもな」それは感情を越えたところから囁かれた言葉だった。
「それから、仲間に何かを理解させるにはそいつはきっと盲目でなきゃならないんだ」


The familiar smile of the Corellian was greeted and returned in like by the youthful grin of the young Jedi.

コレリア人のいつもの笑顔は若いジェダイのあどけない笑みに迎えられた。


"Let's go meet Chewie, and get off this sand bowl - I'm thirsty."

「チューイのところに帰って、さっさとこの砂の塊から脱出しようぜ…喉がからからだ」



+++ The End +++


<< PREV / NEXT >>



FEEDBACK (to J.A. Berger)

>> 翻訳者感想。


BACK