This story was written just for fun and is not an attempt to make money or infringe on any copyrights or trademarks.
この話は娯楽の為だけに書かれたもので、お金儲け・著作権や商標の侵害を目的として書かれたものではありません。


Keeping Up Appearances
「世間体を保つには」

+++ by Alison Glover +++


Han was trying to be charming. Maybe not very charming, but at least moderately charming. This would have been easier if he'd been able to muster more energy, and wasn't wishing it was just him and his drink sitting companionably together at the tech station in the _Falcon's_ lounge. Unfortunately, he also had a guest, who was making herself very much at ease on the couch behind the gaming table. It was getting harder and harder for Han not to ask Galen whether that dye job on her fur was an accident or a joke, and he'd forgotten just how irritating that habit of twirling her whiskers could be. Since Han doubted he'd developed a sudden xenophobia for sentients whose ancestors must have been rat-like, his increasing irritation with Galen must be personal.

ハンは愛想よくしようとしていた。とても、とまではいかなくても、適度に愛想よく。もし彼がもっと精力的になることが出来て、酒と自分だけが停泊中のファルコンのラウンジでくつろいでいることを願ってさえいなければ、それはもっと簡単なことだったに違いない。不幸にも、彼は客を迎えていた。その客は、ゲーム・テーブルの向こう側のカウチでのんびりとくつろいでいる。ハンにとって、ギャレンの毛皮の染め方は事故なのか冗談のつもりなのか、訊かずにいることがどんどん苦痛になってきていた。彼女がヒゲをくるくると弄ぶ仕草が、どれだけ癇に障ることなのか、彼は今まで忘れていた。祖先がネズミのような姿だったに違いない種族への恐怖症が突然発症したとは思えないので、ふつふつと湧き上がるギャレンへの苛立ちは個人的なものなのだろう。


Usually, Han regarded time spent gathering information, even if not of immediate relevance, as time well spent. But the signal-to-noise ratio of Galen's conversation was even lower than Han had remembered. He was having trouble imagining any circumstances in which some of the trivia she was spouting could ever be useful. Han would never have let Galen near the good stuff, but he was now feeling resentful at what looked like being a complete waste of even his cheap brandy. But then Galen had always been just a be-jewelled, loud-mouthed bore with an inferiority complex, who drank too much. The downside of this was that she'd always talked far too much about what a successful business-person she was, but it also meant that she would sometimes slip and tell you something you should have paid for.

普段なら、情報収集に費やす時間は、たとえ収穫が問題に直接関連していないことでも、ハンにとっては有効な時間だった。しかし、ギャレンの会話内容に含まれる雑音の割合は、ハンの思っていた数値より更に高かった。彼女がぺらぺら喋った内容がどんな状況で役に立つのか、想像することすら難しかった。ギャレンにいい酒を出そうなどとは思いもしなかったが、今となっては安いブランデーですら無駄だったような気がして、ハンは後悔していた。思えばギャレンはいつでも大酒呑みで、劣等コンプレックスを持つ成金趣味のお喋りな厄介者だった。性質の悪いことに、彼女は自分がいかに優れた職業人であるか語りすぎるきらいがあった。しかしそれは同時に、彼女が時折口をすべらせて、費やした金に見合う情報をもらしたりするということでもあった。


What Han was specifically trying to find out was whether she knew anything about the failed attempt to steal the consignment of equipment that he, Chewie and Luke had just delivered to the Rebel cell here on Benang. The attempt had appeared to Han to merely be opportunism on the part of some independent local entrepreneurs, but he'd wanted to make sure of that. However, Galen appeared to know nothing that would either confirm or refute that conclusion, it was time to get her off the _Falcon_. They had plenty of time before their planned rendezvous with the Bothans on Pemul, but Han would rather spend it finding out if Pemul's scenery lived up to its reputation than hanging round this run-down port. One of the many reasons to get off the _Sa'Tiochrahan_ for a while was to experience some fresh air, after weeks of breathing the recycled stuff. Unfortunately the atmosphere here smelled like it contained even more mysterious and odorous sulfur- and nitrogen-containing compounds than that on the Alliance's second-hand converted cruiser. Maybe these were just different smelly chemicals, to which Han's nose hadn't yet become inured.

ハンがつきとめようとしていたのは、自分とルークとチューイがここベナングへ託送した武器を途中で何物かが盗み出そうとしたのが失敗に終わったことを、彼女が知っているかどうかということだった。その計画は、たまたま通りかかった地元の独立事業家か何かによるものに思えたが、ハンはそれを裏付けておきたかった。しかし、ギャレンはハンの出した結論を認証、あるいは否定する情報を何も持っていないようで、そろそろファルコンから降りてもらう頃合だった。ぺムールでボサンたちと合流するまではまだかなり時間的余裕があったが、ハンはその時間をこの鄙びた港でつぶしてしまうよりは、ぺムールが評判通りの景観を誇っているのか確かめて過ごしたかった。サティオクラハン(※反乱軍の船)からしばらく抜け出したかった理由の一つは、何週間も吸いつづけてきた循環された空気ではなく、新鮮な大気を吸いたいというものだった。不幸なことにファルコン内部の空気は、反乱軍の中古改造船のそれより、窒素と硫黄を混ぜたような奇妙な臭気を含んでいた。もしかするとそれはまだハンの鼻には適応していない、別の臭気なのかもしれない。


Equally unfortunately no good way of persuading Galen to go was immediately springing to mind. He could forcefully evict her, but that would cause too much talk, and he might later regret ensuring that she never, ever spoke to him again. So he really ought to think of a polite way of getting rid of her.

それと同じくらい不幸なことに、ギャレンを追い払う効果的な方法が即座に思い浮かばなかった。力ずくで追い払うこともできたが、そんなことをすればすぐに噂が広まってしまい、後々彼女がもう口をきいてくれなくなった時に後悔することにもなりかねなかった。なんとしても、礼儀正しく彼女を帰らせる方法を思いつかなければならない。


Whether it was Galen's chattering that had numbed his mind, or that shifting all that cargo manually after the repulsor lift had failed had been more tiring than he'd realized, Han wasn't sure. Either way, he was singularly out of bright ideas. As he gazed blankly down the passageway, seeking inspiration, Luke came out of the _Falcon's_ cramped shower cubicle, stopping in the gangway to pull a shirt on. Technically, there were sufficient cubic meters of space in the cubicle for a normal-sized humanoid to get dressed in. Han could do so if he had to, and wasn't in too much of a hurry. But it was a lot easier get dress outside, where there was no chance of accidentally hitting something that would drive the Falcon's eccentric water-recycling system into apoplexy, and thus getting a second, probably much colder, shower.

ギャレンのお喋りが頭の回転を鈍らせたのか、逆噴射リフトが壊れてしまった後であれだけの積荷を手で移動させなければならなかったことで思ったより疲労が嵩んでいたのかどうかは分からない。どちらにしても彼は良いアイディアを全く思いつくことが出来なかった。閃きを求めて何とはなしに廊下の方に目線を向けると、ファルコンの狭いシャワー室からルークが出てきて、通路で足を止め、シャツを着ていた。物理的に言えば、シャワー室内には平均的な体格のヒューマノイドが着替えられるスペースがあるにはあった。急いでいなければ、ハンも着替えることが出来ないわけではない。しかし外に出てから着替える方が簡単だったし、うっかりファルコンの異常な水循環経路を刺激してしまう何かにぶつかって二度目の、おそらく一度目よりかなり冷たいシャワーを浴びる心配もなかった。


Although it had looked to Han like Galen had been having trouble focusing anywhere beyond the twitching tip of her nose, she mustn't have been that far gone, because she noticed Luke, too.

ギャレンはぴくぴく動く自分の鼻先より遠いものに焦点を合わせることもできないのだろうと思っていたが、そこまで酷くはなかったらしく、彼女もルークに気づいた。


"Who's that? I thought you didn't like crewing with other humans, Solo?"

「あれは誰?他の人間と組むのは嫌いだったんじゃなかったの、ソロ?」


"Oh, he's just..... " Han thought there had been a disapproving note in Galen's voice. Yeah, that was right. Galen was a member of some religious sect that disapproved of.... Han couldn't remember exactly. Almost everything enjoyable, except drinking, which was presumably why Galen did so much of that. A sect which categorically frowned on non-family same-species cohabitation, regardless of gender, except under suitably religiously-endorsed and ceremonially-certified circumstances. So maybe Han could offend her enough for her to leave without the use of force, just in case he ever did drop by this forsaken industrial slag-heap of a planet again, and needed someone who knew lots of other someones.

「ああ、あいつはただの…」
ギャレンの声音には否定的な響きが含まれていた。そうだった、ギャレンの信仰する宗派は…はっきりとは思い出せないが、何かを禁じていた。飲酒以外の嗜好はすべて禁じられているといっても過言ではなく、おそらくギャレンが大酒呑みなのもその所為だと思われた。その宗派は、宗教的裏付けがあり、儀式的に認められた場合を除いて、性別に関わらず、同種族間の家族以外の同棲を無条件に禁じていた。


"He's my -" Han paused and gave what he hoped was an appropriate sort of smile, "- cabin boy. If you know what I mean."

「あいつは俺の…」ハンはそこで言葉を止め、妥当だと思われる笑みを浮かべた。
「キャビンボーイ(※高級船員付の給仕係)だ。意味はわかると思うが」


Luke still had his back to Han, but Han had no trouble at all imagining the horrified expression that would be on the kid's face, given how indignant his shoulders were managing to look.

ルークはこちらに背中を向けていたが、肩をいからせている様子から、ハンは少年の顔が青ざめているのを容易に想像できた。


"Ah," said Galen, perversely not saying much just when Han would have liked a hint as to whether or not she was suitably affronted. "Really." She twirled at her whiskers some more, while Han tried to stop imagining pulling them out one at a time.

彼女が狙い通り侮辱されたと感じているかどうか知りたいところだったが、彼女は意地を張っているのか、言葉少なに「ああ、そうなの」と言っただけだった。
彼女は更にヒゲをくるくると弄び、ハンはそれを一本ずつ引っこ抜くのを想像すまいと努力していた。



"That reminds me, Solo. Although I understand that Jabba's prepared to give you a little more time to pay up, there is another human I hear he is looking for. Jabba and some others."

「それで思い出したわ、ソロ。ジャバがあんたの借金に猶予を与えたのは判ってるけど、あいつが他の人間を探してるらしいのよ。ジャバと、その他の奴らも」


"Oh?" prompted Han.

「ジャバが?」ハンが先を促した。


"Yes. Some rebel called Skywalker. Heard you'd had some dealings with them, thought you might know something about it."

「そう、スカイウォーカーって反乱軍員よ。あんたは反乱軍と少し関わりがあったらしいじゃない、何か知ってるんじゃないかと思って」


Han picked up his own drink. Luke couldn't have missed over-hearing that, and he hoped the kid would have enough sense to stay out of the way and let Han handle finding out about this.

ハンは自分のグラスを手にとった。ルークがこれを聞き逃した筈はない。ハンは少年が大人しくして、この事実を聞き出すことを自分に任せてくれることを願った。


"Might be good money in it, if you did know something," added Galen, taking her turn at a not-so-subtle prompt.

「情報があるなら、金になるわよ」今度はギャレンの方が、ハンより直接的に催促した。


"Didn't have that much to do with the rebels," Han said. "First couple of jobs were okay, but after that they stopped paying, so I moved on....."

「反乱軍とはそこまで関わってない。最初にまわされた仕事はまあまあだったが、金を払わなくなったんで、他をあたることにしたんだ」


For the umpteenth time, Han wished that he'd gotten out of that ridiculous medal ceremony. Sure, it was good for the Alliance's morale to symbolically celebrate its victories. But they could have just hung a medal on Luke, who was the one who was planning to stay with the Alliance. There were far too many people who knew that Han had something to do with rescuing Leia and destroying the Death Star.

馬鹿馬鹿しい表彰式になんか出るんじゃなかったとハンが願ったのは、これでもうウン十回目だった。勝利を祝うことは、反乱軍の士気を煽るにはうってつけだったのかもしれないが、ルークにメダルをかけてやるだけで充分だっただろう。反乱軍に居残ろうと思っていたのはルークだけだったのだ。ハンがレイアの救出とデス・スターの撃墜に関わっていたことを知っている者があまりにも多すぎた。


Besides, it still really gave Han the shits that they'd given him a medal and not Chewie, when the Wookie had been the one with most of the arguments for going back.

大体、ハンはいまだに、自分がメダルを貰ってチューイが貰えなかったことに納得していなかった。引き返そうとうるさく言っていたのはあのウーキーだったのだから。


And Han must have been hanging round the Alliance for too long, since where else would he have gotten to be so optimistic as to expect Luke to stay out of the way. At least Luke didn't charge in demanding to know who the hell was looking for him. He just came in quietly and knelt down on the floor beside Han, without saying anything.

そしてきっと自分は、反乱軍とあまり長い間つるんでいた所為で、楽観的になってしまったに違いない。そうでなければルークが大人しく引っ込んでいるなどと思う筈はなかった。しかし、少なくともルークは一体誰が自分を探しているのかと勢い込んで口を挟んできたりはしなかった。彼はただ黙ってラウンジに入って来て、ハンの傍らの床に腰を下ろした。


This uncharacteristic behavior worried Han a little, so he took another drink, and wondered how he could conjure up the fond look he imagined he ought to be giving Luke.

このらしくない態度に少し不安を覚えて、ハンはもう一口酒を飲むと、今自分がルークに向けているべき優しげな眼差しをどうやって作り上げようかと悩んだ。


Or, after he'd glanced down and taken in the kid's appearance, one that at least didn't say quite so clearly, 'what the hell do you think you're doing?'

しかし目線を下げて少年の姿を見たとき、ハンは思わず『お前は一体何を考えてるんだ?』という顔をしてしまうところだった。


That was the problem, really. Luke did look like a kid. Han had initially been amused (and maybe just a little impressed) that Luke apparently hadn't thought twice about rushing off across the galaxy owning nothing but the clothes he stood up in and a lightsaber he didn't know how to use. Han also had this nagging intuition that the destruction of the Death Star would not be the only significant consequence resulting from Luke's precipitous departure from Tatooine. In the meantime, one of the minor short-term consequences was that, other than the Alliance uniform which he couldn't be seen in here, everything Luke had to wear had been meant to fit someone else. This particular shirt, Han reckoned, must have belonged to Dokril, one of the people from whom Luke was learning unarmed combat, who was as nearly tall as Han and about twice as broad. Presumably the shirt being so obviously far too big for him, and the way it was falling off one shoulder, was why Luke currently looked even younger than he had when he'd walked into the Mos Eisley cantina. And also smaller than he actually was. Maybe his bare feet and still-damp hair, and the way he was half-kneeling beside Han, looking demurely down at the deck, had something to do with it, too.

その姿には明らかに問題があった。ルークは本当に少年のように見えたのだ。出会ったばかりの頃、ハンはルークが明らかに何も考えずに、着の身着のままで、使い方を知らないライトセイバーだけを手に宇宙に飛び出してきたのを知り、驚いたものだった(そして少しだけ、感心していたかもしれない)。それに加えてハンは、タトゥイーンからルークが慌しく飛び立った結果起こることは、デス・スターの撃墜だけに終わらないだろうと直感的に悟っていた。それは兎も角、どうでもいい結果の一つは、ここでは着られることのない反乱軍から支給された制服以外のルークの服が、全て他の誰かに合わせて作られたものだということだった。今まさにルークが着ているシャツは、多分ドクリルのものだろう。ドクリルはルークが非武装の戦闘法を教わっている者の一人で、ハンと同じくらいの身長で、その二倍近く逞しかった。シャツがあまりにも大きいために片方の肩からずりおちていることが、ルークをモス・アイズリーのカンティーナに入ってきたときより幼く見せているらしかった。ついでに言うと、実際よりその体を小柄に見せてもいた。裸足と、乾ききっていない髪と、大人しく俯いてハンの傍らに半ば跪いていることも、それに影響しているのだろう。


At least Luke had had the sense not to put the tool-belt with his lightsaber hanging from it back on.

少なくとも、ライトセイバーの下がった工具ベルトをつけないでいるだけの分別はあったようだが。


Throttling Luke would probably also give a bad impression and offend Han's guest (Galen's sect approving of murder only under specific circumstances), but Han decided to belay that until later. Instead he settled for patting Luke on the head and saying, "He's not very bright, but he can be quite useful."

ルークの首を締めるのも客人によくない印象を与えることになり得た(ギャレンの宗派は特別な状況下以外での殺人を禁じている)が、ハンはそれを後にまわすことにした。その代わり、彼はルークの頭を撫で、こう言った。
「あまり頭はよくないが、便利なもんだぜ」


"I'm sure," said Galen, who apparently hadn't yet completely pickled her ability to be sarcastic. "So do you know anything about this Skywalker character?"

「そうでしょうね」明らかにまだ皮肉に徹しきれていないギャレンが言った。
「それで、そのスカイウォーカーって人物について何か知ってるの?」


Han didn't answer that immediately, mainly because he was still looking at that Skywalker character. There was another problem with Luke's shirt. Okay, not with the shirt. With the almost-healed but still visible scratches on Luke's shoulders and chest that were all too obvious the way the shirt was hanging off him. Han supposed it was possible that if you didn't know that they had been put there by an afterwards terribly apologetic Darysian, you could find some perfectly innocent explanation for them. Only Han couldn't think of one... Apparently M'rvou had found human-Darysian sex much more interesting than she'd expected, and despite having meant what she'd said about keeping her claws sheathed (Darysians were felines, like the Trianni), had just got a little carried away. Since Han couldn't come up with any remotely plausible accident Luke could have had that would explain the scratches, he just bent down and hauled the shirt up so that it was sitting properly.

ハンはすぐには応えなかった。まだそのスカイウォーカーという人物を見ていたからだった。ルークのシャツにはもう一つ問題があった。というより、シャツではなく、そのシャツが肩からずり落ちている所為で露わになってしまっている肩や胸の直りかけの傷跡に問題があった。それが傷をつけた後で酷くすまなそうになるダリジアンの仕業であることを知らなくても、純粋な理由はみつくろえるに違いない。ただ、ハン自身が何も思いつかないだけで…─。トリアン族と同じく、猫のような姿をしているダリジアンのムルヴォウは、ヒューマノイドとじゃれあうことが思ったよりもずっと楽しいということを発見したようだった。そして、爪はしまっておくと約束していたにもかかわらず、少々夢中になりすぎて忘れてしまったらしい。ハンはその傷について、もっともらしい口実を全くおもいつくことが出来なかったので、ただ屈んで、ルークのシャツがちゃんと肩にかかるようにたぐり上げた。


"Well, they say he's a good pilot," Han said, as if he didn't believe it. He had let his hand rest on Luke's shoulder, in case he had to stop Luke leaping up and saying something he shouldn't, but so far, the kid was just sitting there quietly. Han should probably be grateful that it was Luke and not Leia. And grateful that Luke's late uncle had somehow got it through to him that there were times he should stop asking questions and just keep quiet.


「いい腕の操縦士だって話だがな」ハンはまるでそれを信じていないかのように言った。ルークが飛びあがって何か余計なことを言うのを恐れて彼はその肩に手を置いていたが、今のところ青年は静かに座っているだけだった。ここにいるのがレイアではなくルークだったこと、そしてルークの今は亡き叔父が、時には何も聞かずに黙っているべき場合があるのだとどうにか彼に教えこんでいたことを、ハンは感謝すべきなのかもしれない。


"Would you recognize him?"

「顔を見たらそいつだってわかる?」


In his peripheral vision, Han noticed that Luke was fidgeting with something on his left wrist. After a moment, Han realized that it was a length of the fine chain that he and Chewie used for attaching various caps, covers and keys to their appropriate instruments, so that they wouldn't get lost, or float off should the artificial-gravity unit fail. Chewie and Luke had been doing some repairs earlier, and Luke had probably just wound the chain round his wrist for convenience and forgotten about it. Since he was unlikely to know the significance that could be implied by his wearing the chain, it was probably the effort of not leaping up and demanding to know who was looking for him that was making him play with it. There might be plenty effective buying and selling of people carried on in Mos Eisley, but it was of the more subtle sort, nowadays, and it was no longer legal to own another sentient there.

ハンの視界の隅で、ルークが左手首についた何かを弄んでいた。数秒後、ハンはそれがチューイと彼が色々な蓋やカバーや鍵をなくさないように、そして人口重力装置が故障したときにどこかに漂っていかないように、所定の機器につけておく為の細い鎖だと気づいた。ルークは先刻チューイと修理をしていた時に、都合がいいからと手首に鎖を巻いたまま忘れていたのだろう。彼が鎖を身につけていることが何を意味するか、ルークはおそらく判っていない。飛びあがって誰が自分を探しているのか聞き出したい衝動を押さえる為に鎖をいじっているようだった。モス・アイズリーでもかなりの人身売買が行われていただろうが、昨今では廃れていて、今では法律で奴隷制度を禁じていた。


However, slavery was legal here, and Han really did not want a reputation for being the sort of person who approved of it. He grabbed Luke's wrist, covering the chain with his own hand, and, since he couldn't think of anything else that would look natural, put Luke's hand on his knee.

しかし、ここでは奴隷制度はまだ生きていて、ハンは自分がそういった風習を好む人物だと思われたくはなかった。彼はルークの手首を掴んで鎖を自分の手で覆い隠すと、他に自然な動作が思いつかなかったので、その手を自分の膝に乗せた。


"Yeah, I think so." Han said, which seemed safe enough while he collected his thoughts. "Tall guy. " This was true enough, relative to Galen, if not to Han. "Light brown hair, sort of grayish eyes." Han was a firm believer in telling as truthful lies as possible, to avoid complications later.

「ああ、そうだな」ハンは自分の思考をまとめる時間を稼ぐためにそう言った。
「背が高い男だ」
ハンから見てそうではなくても、これはギャレンにとっては事実だった。
「薄い茶色の髪で、灰色っぽい目の色をしてる」
できるだけ事実に近い嘘をつくのがハンの信条だった。後で起こるごたごたを回避できる。


Galen shrugged. "You humans all look so alike to me. I don't know how you tell each other apart, without sensible features like whiskers and tails, or horns or antennae." She sighed, presumably at this lack of human consideration, and took a large swallow from her glass, emptying it. "If you do know anything about where this Skywalker is, I could make it well worth your while."

ギャレンは肩をすくめた。
「あんたたち人間ときたら、みんな同じに見えるんだもの。ヒゲとか尻尾とか、角とか触覚みたいな目立った特徴もなしに、どうやって相手を見分けるのか不思議だわ」
彼女は人間の見分け難さについてため息をつき、グラスの中身を飲み干した。
「スカイウォーカーとかいう奴がどこにいるのか知ってるなら、渡りをつけてあげられるわよ」


"I'll ask around. Who wants to know, apart from Jabba?"

「訊いて回ってみるさ。ジャバ以外に、誰が知りたがってるんだ?」


"Now, that," Galen said, sitting up straighter, nose twitching, "is interesting. No one knows precisely who. Whoever it is uses layers of middlemen. But she, he or it has high-ranking Imperal influence, that's for sure."

「それよ」背筋を伸ばし、鼻をうごめかせてギャレンは言った。
「面白いのはそこなの。誰も厳密に依頼人を知らないのよ。何重にも仲介人を立ててるみたい。彼なのか彼女なのか知らないけど、帝国軍の権力者であることだけは確かね」


"Imperial influence?" Han asked, revising his opinion and deciding that canceling the entire medal ceremony would have been the best idea. An x-wing pilot's life expectancy was quite low enough without the Imperials being after Luke even when he wasn't flying. He nudged Luke. "Make yourself useful, and pour my guest another drink, boy."

「帝国の権力者?」
訊きながら、ハンは自分の考えを訂正し、表彰式自体をキャンセルするのがいちばんだったと結論付けた。操縦桿を握っていない時まで帝国軍に追われなくても、ルーク達Xウィング操縦士の平均寿命は短いのだ。ハンはルークを軽く小突いた。
「お客様に飲み物を注ぐんだ。少しは役に立てよ、坊や」


Luke glanced up at Han, who had the distinct impression that the only reason he hadn't got a reply along the lines of 'yes, oh lord and master' was because Luke couldn't have kept a straight face saying it. Evidently Luke didn't trust himself to say anything, because he just silently went and did as Han said. He must have picked up about the chain, too, because he didn't push the sleeves of the shirt out of his way, but let them hang down over his wrists. Galen sniffed her refilled glass appreciatively (well, even the cheap stuff did grow on you, especially after half a bottle of it). She settled herself back more comfortably on the couch, with an air which suggested that she was priding herself on her tolerance.

ルークはハンを見上げた。彼が『わかりましたご主人様』と応えないのは、台詞を笑わずに言う自信がないからだとハンは何となく感づいた。どうやらルークは口をきかない方が安全だと決めたようで、黙ってハンの言う通りに動いた。鎖についても気づいたようで、ルークはシャツを捲ろうとはせず、袖が手首の下まで下がるようにしていた。ギャレンは嬉しそうに御代りの注がれたグラスを嗅いだ(安い酒でもボトル半分も空ければ好ましく思えてくるものらしい)。彼女は自分の寛容さを誇るように、更にくつろいだ様子でカウチに凭れかかった。


Luke knelt back down beside Han again, put his arms on Han's knees, and leaned his head on his arms. This at least meant the chain was hidden and Han had a free hand to grab his own drink with.

ルークはハンの傍らに再び跪き、ハンの膝に手を置いてその上にうつ伏せた。これで鎖は見えなくなり、ハンは空いた片方の手で自分のグラスを持ち上げることが出来た。


"Yes," Galen was saying. "Various Imperials, and they want him alive."

「そうよ」ギャレンが言った。「色んな帝国の奴らが、そいつを生け捕りにしたがってるわ」


And that meant that Han felt he needed a drink. A large one.

そしてそれはハンがもう一杯酒を必要とすることを意味した。しかも、大きなグラスで。




<< PREV / NEXT >>


BACK