Keeping Up Appearances 2


Han was wondering whether he'd have to signal Chewie to announce a suspected reactor leak to prompt Galen to leave. His co-pilot was in the cockpit, monitoring the conversation, as one of them always did in such circumstances. Fortunately Chewie had stayed there, and had refrained from rushing in and growling at Galen. She might not be that well-respected a citizen, but she was a pretty well-known one, and Han didn't want to have to explain to the port authorities that she'd had a fatal heart attack due to his co-pilot's sometimes mis-guided sense of humor. Chewie sometimes just found scaring people fun, but Han doubted that a nervy little creature like Galen would find the experience amusing.

ハンはギャレンを追い払うために、チューイに合図して、原子炉の漏洩の危険があると放送してもらうおうかどうか迷っていた。このような状況でいつもそうしているように、副操縦士はコクピットでこの会話をモニターしていた。幸運にもチューイはギャレンに牙を剥くために怒鳴り込んでくるのを我慢して、まだコクピットにいた。ギャレンは社会的に認められてはいないかもしれないが、知名度だけはあったし、ハンは港当局の人間に副操縦士の歪んだユーモアセンスの所為で彼女が致命的な心臓麻痺を起こしたなどと説明したくはなかった。チューイは時折他人を驚かすのを楽しんだりするが、ギャレンのような矮小で神経質な生き物にとって、そのような体験が楽しいものだとは思えなかった。


But once the bottle was empty, and another one wasn't immediately forthcoming, Galen got up to go.

しかしボトルが空になり、代わりのボトルがすぐには出てこないことを悟ると、ギャレンは立ち上がった。


"It's been so good talking to you, Solo, but I have other business to attend to. Since you're so eager, I'll leave you with your -" Galen frowned disapprovingly "-boy."

「会えて嬉しかったわ、ソロ。でもまだ他にも仕事があるの。それに、そんなにじれったそうなんだもの、邪魔しないでおくわ」ギャレンは非難するように顔をしかめて言った。「ごゆっくり」


What could Luke have been doing to prompt that 'eager' remark? As far as Han could tell, he'd just been kneeling there, doing nothing more suggestive than looking up at Han occasionally. Then Han belatedly realized that although his reason for keeping a hand on the back of Luke's neck was so he could grab him by the collar if he did do something rash, it probably didn't seem that way to Galen. If the rumours Han had heard were correct, her species' rather formal mating ritual began with one party biting the other just about where Han's hand had been.

ルークが何かギャレンに『じれったそう』だと思わせるようなことをしていたのだろうか?ハンの知る限りでは、彼はただ傍らに跪き、思わせぶりな動作といえば時折こちらを見上げてくるくらいしかしていなかった。そこでハンはやっと気がついた。彼がルークの首の後ろに手を置いていたのは、少年が何かとんでもない行動に出たときに首根っこを掴むためだったのだが、ギャレンにはそうは見えなかったのだ。もしハンが聞いた噂が確かならば、彼女の種族のどちらかというと堅苦しい交配の儀式は、どちらかがもう一方の、ちょうど今ハンが手を置いているあたりを噛むことから始まるというものだった。


Galen was looking thoughtfully at Luke, which made Han worry again what dreadfully improper thing Luke might inadvertently be doing, but she just said, "He does have good manners. He's so nice and quiet."

ギャレンは感慨深げにルークを見つめていて、ハンはルークがまたとんでもなく不適切なことをしでかしているのではないかと不安になった。しかし彼女はただ「本当に行儀がいいのね。大人しくって」と言っただけだった。


Since Han had been surprised that Luke was capable of staying this quiet and this still for so long, he nearly replied, 'not usually.' Only he didn't want to think about how Galen might interpret that.

ハンもルークがこんなに長い時間大人しく黙っていられたことに驚いていたので、もう少しで『いつもはこうじゃない』と応えてしまうところだった。ただ、ギャレンがそれをどういう意味に捉えるかは考えたくもなかった。


"He has such beautiful eyes. And such lovely long lashes."
To judge by the way he was shaking, Luke's staring so fixedly at the deck was not so much a becoming degree of modesty, but more an attempt not to burst out laughing.


「綺麗な目をしてるわ、睫も長くて素敵だし」
体が震えている様子からして、ルークがじっと床を見つめているのは、行儀良くしようと努力しているわけではなく、笑いをこらえるためのようだった。


"Yes, he does, doesn't he," Han agreed, since compared with Galen's little beady red ones, anyone's eyes could be classed as beautiful, and no member of her species possessed any eyelashes at all.

「ああ、そうだな」
ギャレンの小さな赤い瞳と比べれば誰の瞳でも美しいと評されるだろうし、彼女の種族の眼には睫がなかったので、ハンは賛同を示した。


"And he's very affectionate," he added, patting Luke on the head again, as Luke made a choking noise and buried his head against Han's leg.

「それにこいつは人懐こいんだ」
ハンはそう言い足しながら再びルークの頭を撫でた。ルークは咳き込むような音を立ててハンの膝に顔を伏せた。


"So if you ever want to sell him," Galen went on, "Do let me know. I could easily find a buyer for him."

「もしその子を売りたくなったら連絡してね」ギャレンは続けて言った。
「きっとすぐに買い手が見つかると思うわ」


Shit. Galen had noticed the chain. Maybe Han should just shoot her where she stood. Otherwise it was going to take forever to live this down. But she would have made sure plenty of people knew where she was, so that wasn't a good idea.

くそ、鎖に気づいてやがったのか。もういっそのことここで彼女を撃ち殺しておくべきなのかもしれない。そうでもしなければ、一生この悪名を背負って生きていかなければならない。しかしおそらくギャレンは自分の居場所をたくさんの他人に告げているに違いないので、それは賢い案とは言えなかった。


"Thanks, but not right now. I've been pleased with him, so I'll keep him another year or so." Han didn't dare glance at Luke to see what reaction that got. "Besides, he can cook, too, you know."

「そりゃどうも、ただ今は必要ない。今のところ満足してるんでね、あと一年くらいはこのまま傍に置いておくよ」
その台詞に対するルークの反応を、ハンは敢えて見ようともしなかった。
「料理もしてくれるしな」


Han got up, his mouth on automatic pilot, saying polite things about how nice it was to see her again, and how he mustn't keep her from her undoubtedly urgent business. He took Galen by one spindly forearm, waited impatiently for her to arrange her tail over the other arm, and ushered her towards the main hatch.

ハンは立ち上がり、彼女と再会できてどんなに嬉しかったか、多忙な彼女を引き止めるのはどんなに気が引けるかなどと礼儀正しいことを次々とよどみなく口にした。そしてギャレンのひょろ長い前足を取り、彼女がもう一方の腕に尻尾をかけるのを苛々しながら待って、彼女を中央の昇降口へと追いたてた。


** ** **


Han hadn't even got the hatch secured behind Galen, but Luke was running up the passageway already.

ギャレンが出ていった後、ハンが昇降口を閉め終わる前に、既にルークは廊下を駆け上がってきていた。


"Cabin boy?? What the f - what the hell did you tell her that for?"

「キャビンボーイ!?なんであんなこと言ったんだよ?」


Han might not think those big blue eyes were beautiful, but he could hardly have missed their being indignant. Deciding that attack was the best form of defense, he yelled, "And what the hell do you think you were doing with that chain? Now that buck-toothed idiot thinks I own you. What's that going to do to my reputation?"

ハンはそのつぶらな青い瞳が綺麗だとは思っていなかったかもしれないが、憤慨に満ちていない時のルークの目が恋しかった。攻撃は最大の防御と判断し、彼は怒鳴った。
「じゃあお前は何で鎖なんかつけてたんだ?あの出っ歯な阿呆は俺がお前の持ち主だと思ってやがるんだぞ。俺の世間体はどうしてくれる?」


"What about mine?" Luke yelled back, hitching at his shirt, which was slipping off his shoulders again.

「僕のはどうなるんだよ?」再び肩からずり落ちかけていたシャツを引っ張りながら、ルークも怒鳴り返した。


"You're supposed to be too innocent to have one. Despite all the evidence to the contrary." Han grabbed the shirt and hauled it in back in place to cover those scratches up again.

「お前はそんなもん関係ないくらい純粋だってことになってるんだよ、事実に反してな」
ハンはそのシャツをひっ掴んで、傷跡を覆うように再びたぐりあげた。


"Will you stop doing that?!"

「それやめてくれない!?」


"Haven't you figured out how to dress yourself yet?" Han had been going to pointedly do the shirt up, but then realized that the reason it wasn't fastened was because there weren't any fasteners on it. He hadn't yet decided on an alternative course of action when Chewie ambled down the gangway and said,

「服の着方も知らないのか?」
ハンはあてつけにシャツを留めてやるつもりでいたが、シャツが留められていないのはファスナー自体がないからだということに気づいた。チューイが廊下を渡りこちらにやってきたとき、ハンはまだ次の動作を決めかねていた。


*Having a little lovers' tiff, are we?*

*おやおや、痴話喧嘩かな?*


"No, we are not!"

「「違う!」」


*At least you're agreed on that.* Chewie smiled sweetly as he sauntered towards the lounge.

*仲の良いことで。*
チューイはにんまりと笑うとラウンジの方へぶらぶらと歩いて行った。


"AND NO, WE AREN'T, EITHER!!" they yelled, not having got past Chewie's first remark.

「「それも違う!!」」
チューイの最初の指摘をまだ引きずっている二人が声を荒げた。


There was a pause as Chewie vanished into the lounge, and then his furry head re-appeared round the bulkhead, grinning hugely. *You sure about that? I thought maybe you'd just been very discreet about it.*

チューイがラウンジへと姿を消した一時の沈黙の後、毛むくじゃらの顔が満面の笑みを浮かべ再びひょっこり覗いた。
*本当にそうなのか?二人とも口が堅いだけなんだと思ってたよ。*


Han and Luke stared at each other for a moment, came to an unspoken agreement, and both charged after Chewie.

ハンとルークは一瞬顔を見合わせ、無言で合意するとチューイの後を追いかけた。


"Chewie, what are you thinking about? You're not thinking that this will make a nice amusing story for when we get back to the Fleet, are you?"

「チューイ、お前何考えてる?まさか隊に戻ったときに面白がって喋り散らすつもりじゃないだろうな?」


*Why not?* asked Chewie, innocently. *When there are already so many rumors circulating about Han's being a big bad pirate, and how close the two of you are?*

*そうしない理由がどこにある?*
チューイが無邪気を装って言った。
*それでなくてもハンが悪い大海賊で、二人がどんなに仲がいいかって噂がたくさん流れてるのに?*


"Chewie, you are not to mention this to Leia."

「チューイ、レイアには言うなよ」


"Or to Sylla," Luke added.

「シラにもね」ルークが付け足した。


"Sylla?" Han asked, confused. "I didn't think you and she were....."

「シラ?」ハンが困惑した様子で訊いた。「お前ら付き合ってたのか」


"We're not. But anything Sylla hears, the whole ship finds out about."


「違うよ。シラに言ったら全艦隊に知れ渡ったのと同じだからさ」


Chewie's grin got even broader. *You know, that's true. Thanks for reminding me.*

チューイの笑みは更に広がった。
*そういえばそうだな。教えてくれて感謝する。*


"Good one, Luke," muttered Han.

「最高だぜ、ルーク」ハンがぼやいた。


"Hey -" Luke had evidently decided that actions would speak louder than words, because he started to swing a mock-punch at Han. Only Chewie grabbed his arm, and scolded,

「何だよ…」ルークは明らかに言葉より行動の方が意見を伝えやすいと判断したようで、ハンを殴る振りをし始めた。しかしチューイはその腕を掴んで、叱りつけるように言った。


*Now, now. You're supposed to be a quiet and good-mannered little cabin boy. You could be in real trouble for attacking your owner, you know. If these scratches are what he does to you when he's in a good mood, just think what he might do if you annoy him.*

*こらこら、大人しくて行儀のいいキャビンボーイでいなきゃだめじゃないか。ご主人様にたてつくととんでもないことになるぞ。この傷が機嫌のいいときにつけられたものだとしたら、怒らせたら何をするか考えてもみるんだ。*


"Chewie, if you don't shut up about this -" Han swung a punch of his own at Chewie. It had been intended to be harder than Luke's, but Chewie's grabbing Han by the scruff of the neck didn't do a lot for his aim.

「チューイ、いい加減にしないと…」今度はハンがチューイを殴ろうとした。ルークのそれより激しい一撃の筈だったのだが、チューイに襟首を掴まれて的を外してしまった。


"Will you be careful of my good shirt!" Han yelled, as well as he could when said shirt was half-strangling him.

「よそ行きのシャツを乱暴に扱うな!」
そのシャツに半ば締め上げられながら、出し得る限りの大声でハンが叫んだ。


*Okay,* said Chewie, cheerfully, abruptly letting Han go, so that he fell backwards. Unfortunately, the nearest thing Han could grab to stop his fall was Luke. That might have worked had Chewie not given Luke a shove, too.

*了解、*
チューイは楽しそうにそう言って、ハンが後ろ向きに倒れるように、いきなり手を放した。不運にも、ハンが倒れるのを止めるために手を伸ばせる最も身近なものはルークだった。チューイがルークを押していなくても、作戦は成功していただろう。


They ended up in a tangle on the floor, with Han's shirt half over his head, and Luke's falling off his shoulders yet again, while Chewie leaned triumphantly against a bulkhead, grinning toothily down at them both.

二人はもつれあって床に倒れた。ハンのシャツは脱げかけていたし、ルークのシャツは再び肩からずり落ちていた。チューイは壁に凭れて、牙をむき出して笑いながらそんな二人を覗きこんだ。


*Just hold it right there, the two of you,* Chewie said, *while I get the holo-camera.*

*二人とも、そのままそのまま、今ホロカメラをとってくるから。*


** ** **


Back on the _Sa'Tiochrahan_, the _Falcon_ was docked in her normal corner of Hangar Two. As usual, the hangar was crowded; berth space was at a premium on the old converted cruiser, because some of the smaller docking bays had been converted into missile launch tubes or energy weapon platforms. However, sharing the hangar with other ships and their ground-crews and support personel did have advantages. Access to diagnostic equipment that Chewie and Han could never have afforded on their own was one. Getting a fresh perspective on some of the Falcon's more persistent intermittent faults was useful, too. And having all these technical experts around also meant that Chewie could find someone to help him with his current problem.

サティオクラハンに戻ったファルコンは、第二格納庫の定位置に停泊していた。古い改造戦艦のいくつかの格納庫はミサイル発射口や砲台に作りかえられていたので、船が停泊できる場所は最低限しかなかった。よっていつもの通り、格納庫は込み合っていた。しかし、同じ格納庫を他の船やその地上勤務員・整備員たちと分け合うことには、いくつか利点もあった。ハンやチューイには到底手が届かない特殊な工具が使えることがその一つだった。断続して起こるファルコンのしつこい故障個所について、新鮮な意見を得られるのもなかなか便利だった。そして工学の専門家たちに囲まれているということは、今チューイが抱えている問題を解決してくれる誰かを見つけられるかもしれないということでもあった。


He tracked down a couple of likely prospects in the partitioned-off corner of the hangar where the illicit still and fermentation kegs for the home-brew were hidden. Sorry, where the improvised production facilities for certain essential lubricants and solvents were located. Debrera was one of Red Squadron's ground crew, and their instrumentation expert; Gauchi was an imaging specialist in the counter-measures team. Currently they were deep in conversation with Wedge about upgrading the x-wings' targeting scanners. Wedge was fiddling with the temperature control on the still, and muttering something about how even if it didn't matter to the Darysians, who could tolerate both, he'd prefer it if the home-brew he was going to drink contained ethanol, not methanol. Chewie grinned. Wedge, it seemed, was doing a fine job of balancing both his official responsibilities (as Squadron Leader) and his unofficial, but nevertheless crucial to the smooth running of the ship, ones (as Assistant Distiller).

チューイは格納庫の中でそこだけ仕切りで隔離された、禁じられている蒸留器や自家醸造酒のための発酵樽が隠されている…もとい、生活の潤滑油・溶剤になるあるものを作り出すための、間に合わせの器具が置いてある場所で、役に立ってくれそうな人物を数人見つけた。デブレラはレッド隊の地上勤務の一人で、器械工学の専門家だった。ガウチは画像化を専門とする対抗策企画チームの一員だった。二人はちょうど、ウェッジとXウィングの標的走査機のアップグレードについて話しこんでいた。ウェッジは蒸留器の温度調節を弄りながら、ダリジアンはどちらでも飲めるから気にしないだろうが、自分が飲む自家醸造酒の内容物質はメタノールよりエタノールがいいとかなんとか、ぶつぶつつぶやいていた。チューイはにやりと笑みを浮かべた。ウェッジは隊長としての公式な役割と、非公式ではあるが艦隊の運営が円滑に運ぶのに不可欠な、蒸留酒製作助手としての役目を同時に上手くこなしているようだ。


Gauchi must have noticed the battered piece of equipment that Chewie was holding in his paw, because he stopped discoursing on the trade-offs between field-of-view and resolution and asked, "Can we help you, Chewie?"

ガウチはチューイの手の中にある形の崩れた機器に気づいたらしく、視野の広さと解像度における妥協と平均化についての薀蓄を披露するのをやめ、「何か用か、チューイ?」と訊いた。


Chewie held what he was carrying out for inspection, and looked at it with what he intended to be a deeply mournful expression.

チューイは抱えていたものを見せるために差し出して、出来るだけ悲しそうな表情を作ってそれを見つめた。


"Well," said Gauchi, looking like he was trying to not laugh. "I can see why you weren't able to fix that one yourself. What in space happened to it?"

「ああ、」笑いをこらえている様子でガウチが言った。
「それじゃあ自分では直せないだろうな。一体全体何があったんだ?」


"Whatever it was," Wedge added. Chewie considered the mangled remains, and decided that no, it wasn't at all obvious what they had originally been.

「それがなんだったのかは知らないけどな」ウェッジが付け足した。チューイはめちゃめちゃになったその残骸を見なおし、それがもともとなんであったのか、一目ではわからなくても無理はないと結論づけた。


"It looks like it used to be a holo-camera," Debrera said, frowning at the charred pieces of debris. "A holo-camera that's been used for target practice, perhaps?"

「ホロカメラだったみたいだな」黒焦げになった残骸の欠片に眉をしかめながらデブレラが言った。
「射的の的にでもされたのか?」



*Not exactly.* Gauchi and Debrera didn't know that much Wookie, but they could usually work out enough of what Chewie was saying to get by. He looked hopefully at them.
*Can you fix it? Or at least download the images from it?*


*厳密に言うと違う。*
ガウチとデブレラはウーキーの言語をよくは知らなかったが、チューイの言っていることは大抵理解することが出来た。彼は期待を込めて彼らを見つめた。
*直せないかな?少なくともイメージを抜き出すことは出来ないか?*


Gauchi took the remains and shook his head over them. "I doubt it - it's been pretty effectively pulverized. Looks like someone not only shot it, but also lasered it in half and then took a ten-pound hammer to it, or something."

ガウチは残骸を手に取り首を振った。
「どうだかな…随分徹底的にやられてるようだし。銃で撃ってレーザーで真っ二つにした上に、かなづちか何かで叩いたみたいだな」


*Sort of.*

*まあね。*


Gauchi and Debrera pored over the wreckage some more, poking and prodding in the camera's spilled entrails.

ガウチとデブレラはその破損物について議論しながら、はみ出たカメラの内部をつつきまわした。


"Hang on," Debrera said, "the main memory core seems to still be intact."
Chewie gave a gleeful little growl, as Debrera pulled a magnifier and a pair of fine tweezers from his tool belt. "Only..." he held the core up the light, and squinted at it through the magnifier. "Only it looks like it's been dipped in acid or something."


「待てよ」デブレラが言った。「主要メモリーコアは残ってるようだぞ」
彼が虫眼鏡と小さなピンセットを取り出すのをみて、チューイは嬉しそうに小さな唸り声を上げた。
「ただ…」コアを明るいところまで引き出し、デブレラは目を細めて虫眼鏡を覗きこんだ。
「ただ、酸か何かに漬けられたように見えるんだが」


*Not acid. Cheap Correllian brandy.*

*酸じゃない。安いコレリアンブランデーだよ。*


The humans looked confused, and Wedge asked, "You did say 'brandy', didn't you, Chewie?"

人間たちは混乱しているようだった。ウェッジが訊いた。
「今お前『ブランデー』って言ったよな、チューイ?」


Chewie nodded hopefully. The cheap stuff was pretty corrosive, and could be used to clean rust off the Falcon's landing struts at a pinch, but surely it wasn't quite at the concentrated acid level.

チューイは期待を込めてうなずいた。あの安い酒はかなりの腐食性があり、ほんの少量でファルコンの着陸用支柱の錆びを落とすことが出来たが、それほど強い酸性ではないはずだった。


"Just as bad, I'm afraid, Chewie. Alcohol really shrivels the lattice spacings in these organo-crystaline holo-cores. What was it storing? If it's really important, there are some retrieval techniques we could still try."

「思ったとおりだ、チューイ、アルコールはホロ・コアの有機結晶体の格子状の間隔を縮めてしまうんだ。何が入ってたんだ?もし重要なものなら、他の復旧方法もないことはないが」


Chewie sighed and shook his head. *Thanks, but there's no need to go to that much effort. It wasn't that important.*

チューイはため息をつき首を振った。
*有り難いけど、そこまでしてもらう必要はないよ。そこまで重要なものじゃない。*


_Just a joke I might have been able to get a little more mileage out of....._

──ただ少し実用性がありそうな冗談のネタだったんだ…──


He looked across the hangar to where Han and Luke were working on the _Falcon's_ lateral stabilizers. Well, that's what they were supposed to be doing. At present there seemed to some slight dissension over how exactly they were going to go about that.

彼は格納庫の反対側でファルコンの側部安定装置の修理をしているハンとルークを見やった。少なくとも、彼らは修理をしていることになっていた。二人は今、どうやってその修理を進めるかについて揉めているようだった。


Chewie obviously wasn't the only one to have noticed this, because he heard one female voice say,
"Don't you think those guys are really cute when they're arguing?" and another answer,
"No.... I think they're really cute all the time."


これに気づいたのはチューイだけではなかったようで、彼は誰か女性の声がこう言うのを聞いた。
「あの二人って喧嘩してるとすごく可愛いと思わない?」
そしてもう一人がこう応えた。
「やあね…あの二人はいつでも可愛いわよ」



_Not only mileage,_ Chewie thought sadly. _If I'd been able to replicate those holos, I'm sure I could have traded them for all sorts of useful tools.... or at least been suitably entertained by the reaction when I threatened to do that..._

──実用性があるだけじゃない…──
チューイは悲しげに思った。
──あのホログラムを複製することができたら、色々な便利な工具と物々交換できたに違いないのに…少なくとも、そうすると脅したときの反応を楽しむことが出来たはずなのに…──



Chewie was still pondering that regretfully when he heard the access port in the blast doors between the hangar and the interior of the ship open. For some reason, that caused Han to almost drop the wrench he'd been holding. Strange, Han wasn't usually that clumsy with tools. One advantage of being a tall Wookie was that Chewie could easily see over the partitioning that hid the still to check to what Han was reacting.

戦艦内部と格納庫をつなぐ防火壁の出入り口が開いたとき、チューイはまだ未練がましく考え込んでいた。どうしたことか、出入り口が開いたことで、ハンは手にしていたレンチを取り落としそうになっていた。ハンは普段、工具の扱いにおいてそこまで不器用ではない筈だった。背の高いウーキーであることの利点の一つは、蒸留器を隠す仕切りの上からハンが何に反応したのか簡単に見渡せることだった。


Ah, could his partner's sudden loss of dexterity be explained by the fact it was Senator Organa and General Madine who had just entered the hangar, and who were now advancing determinedly towards the Falcon?

相棒が突然不器用になったのは、オーガナ上院議員とマディーン将軍が格納庫に入ってきて、今まさに毅然とした様子でファルコンに歩み寄ってきていることと関係しているのだろうか?


_Or, then again,_ Chewie thought, _maybe this is a joke from which I can extract a little more mileage, just by looking like I'm thinking of trying to..._

──いや、もしかすると…──
チューイは思った。
──これで何かしようとしていると仄めかしてからかうだけで、もう少し楽しめるかもしれない…──



*Thanks anyway,* Chewie said, dropping the memory core into one of the pouches on his bandolier, in case it might still come in useful, and grinning to himself as he ambled back towards the _Falcon_.

*何はともあれ、ありがとう。*
この先まだ何かの役に立つかもしれないメモリーコアを弾薬ベルトのポケットに入れると、チューイは礼を言い、笑みを浮かべてファルコンの方へと戻っていった。


+++ The End +++


<< PREV / NEXT >>



FEEDBACK (to Alison Glover)

>> 翻訳者感想。


BACK