This story was written just for fun and is not an attempt to make money or infringe on any copyrights or trademarks.
この話は娯楽の為だけに書かれたもので、お金儲け・著作権や商標の侵害を目的として書かれたものではありません。



Marooned
「二人きり」

+++ by M.J. Mink +++


The mission had been well planned. It wasn't any mistake on the part of the Alliance command staff or the ground exploration team that led to its failure. It was the sudden, unexpected appearance of aliens that descended on the team and their enemy, and killed all but two.

それは上手くいく筈の作戦だった。敗因となったのは反乱軍の管制班や地上探索チームのミスではなく、突如として現れ、敵味方問わず襲いかかり、二名を除く全員を殺してしまったエイリアンだった。


Luke Skywalker gave credit where it was due: the Force saved him. If it hadn't heightened his senses so he could detect the strange presence, if it hadn't given him incredible physical skills that enabled him to leap high in the air, he would be dead, too. As it was, he was... treed.

ルーク・スカイウォーカーはうまくその能力を活かした。彼を救ったのはフォースだった。もし奇妙な気配を察知できる研ぎ澄まされた感覚と、空中に高く跳び上がることを可能にした優れた跳躍力がなければ彼もまた殺されていただろう。そして今彼は木の上に──引っかかっていた。


He felt incredibly foolish. He knew he should feel bad for his comrades, but they were dead and beyond his sympathy. So he simply felt sorry for himself, an inexperienced eighteen-year-old clinging to the scratchy upper branches of a very tall tree, and wondered how he would get down. There was no sturdy trunk to hold his weight so he could climb; he had a death-grip on three lean branches, and he wasn't certain how long they would hold him. If Ben Kenobi hadn't been killed a few weeks earlier, he could have asked if the Force--since it had gotten him in this predicament--would condescend to float him down to the ground. He could try, of course, but he didn't want to end up with a body made of broken bones and then discover that those...things...ate people.

自分の状況がとても間抜けに感じる。仲間達にすまないと思うべきなのはわかっていたが、彼らは死んでしまっていて、同情とは縁のないところにいた。その代わりにルークは、とても高い樹木の頂上近くの頼りないにしがみつきどうやって降りようかと思案している未熟な十八歳の自分に同情することにした。手近に体を支えてくれそうな太い幹は見当たらない。彼の命を支えている三本の細い枝はいつまでもちこたえてくれるかわからない。ベン・ケノービが数週間前に殺されていなかったら、自分をこんな状況に追い込んだフォースを使えば地面まで浮かんで降りていけるのかと聞いていただろう。勿論、試してみることはできる。しかし全身の骨を折ってしまった後で、あの「生き物たち」が人間を食べることに気づきたくはなかった。


The Creatures had dragged away his companions as well as the stormtroopers who had discovered the Rebels' quest for a new base and followed them down to this cursed planet. Luke knew that soon another team would be sent to find them, and more stormtroopers would come looking for their fellows. The Creatures would kill them all.

エイリアンたちは仲間の死体とともに、新しい基地を探していた反乱軍を追ってこの呪われた星にたどりついた突撃部隊も引きずっていった。しばらく経てば反乱軍の別の小隊がルークたちを探しにくるだろう、そして新たな突撃部隊も仲間を探しにやってくるだろう。彼らもまたエイリアンに皆殺しにされてしまうに違いない。


Somehow he had to get out of this tree and off the planet to send a warning before anyone else walked blindly into danger. He leaned forward, forcing the branches to bend, and craned his neck to peer through the leaves. There was a movement off to his left; he shifted to see and lost his grip, sliding down a few feet before his leg caught in a fork and he was again, for the moment, safe.

なんとかしてこの木から降りて、誰かが知らずに危険に飛び込む前に警告を伝えなくてはならない。前のめりになり、枝を曲げながらルークは生茂る葉の向こうを見ようと首を傾げた。左手で何かが動き、それを見ようと身動きした拍子に手が掴んでいた枝を離れ、彼は身体ごとずり落ちた。数フィート降下したところで足が木の股にかかり、ルークはつかの間の安息を得た。


"Are you planning on vacating your perch, young one?"

「止まり木を降りようとしているのか?」


The booming voice startled him, and he let go. Moments later, he found himself hanging upside down on a branch that was slowly cracking under his weight.

低く響く声に驚き、手がすべった。一瞬の後、彼はその負荷に耐え切れず少しずつ折れていく枝に逆さまにぶら下がっていた。


"Release your hold. Come down from there."

「枝を放せ。そこから降りるんだ」


The voice sounded like it was used to being obeyed, but Luke would be damned if he'd deliberately fall through this mass of tangled twigs and sharp, scratchy-

その声は従われることに慣れているようだったが、ルークはこんなちくちくしそうな小枝が生い茂る中をわざと落ちようとは──


The branch snapped.

音を立てて枝が折れた。


"Yow!" With a stifled shriek, he fell. Just before he would have struck the ground, something he could only describe as "fat air" cushioned him and deposited him gently on a mound of dirt.

「うわっ!」押し殺した悲鳴を上げながら彼は落下した。地面に打ちつけられる寸前、「密度の高い空気」としか言い表し様のない何かがルークを受け止め、盛り上がった土の上にそっと下ろしてくれた。


Gingerly, he poked his legs and ribs. Nothing broken. Before he could rise, darkness filled his vision and a black glove grasped his hand. He was hauled to his feet. Confused, he looked up. And up.

おそるおそる、彼は脚や胴をつついてみた。どこも折れてはいなかった。立ち上がろうとしたとき、影が視界を覆い、黒い手袋がルークの手を掴んだ。手を引かれて立ち上がり、彼は混乱したまま顔を上げて、さらに見上げた。


A giant of a man pondered him. Luke could see nothing but black--a highly polished helmet that was marred by scratches and a light dusting of the native grey soil; a mask with a breathing apparatus that testified this man could not tolerate oxygen; a chestplate with lights and monitors; a uniform and a long cloak-

巨大な人影が彼を見下ろしていた。目に入るのはひたすら黒だけだった──無数の小さな傷と、うっすらと被った灰色の土で汚れた黒光りするヘルメット、酸素に耐えられないことを示す呼吸装置のついたマスクと、電飾や計器のついた胸のプレート、そして軍服と長いマント…


"You're not a stormtrooper!" Luke exclaimed, then stammered, annoyed by his foolishness, "I mean-- I can see you're not-- But you were with them, weren't you? Or do you live here--well, of course not, or you could breathe the atmosphere. You're not with the Creatures, are you? Are you their--"

「ストームトルーパーじゃない!」叫んでしまってから自分の間の抜けた発言を恥じるように、ルークは口篭もった。
「ええと…あんたがそうじゃないのはわかるけど──でもあいつらの仲間なんだろ?それともここに住んで…るわけないか、この星の空気を吸えないんだから。あの生き物の仲間じゃないよね?あいつらの…」


One black hand raised and halted his questions. "Answers can wait, young one. I suggest we seek shelter before the Creatures return."

黒い手が上がりルークの質問を止めた。
「答えるのは後でいいだろう。隠れ場所を探すのが先決だ、あの生き物が戻って来る前に」


"Do you know where they went?" he asked curiously.

「あいつらがどこに行ったか知ってるの?」好奇心からルークは尋ねた。


"Presumably they have taken away their prey for later consumption," the other said tightly. "Follow me."

「おそらくは後で獲物を料理するために持ち去ったんだろう」男の声音は厳しかった。「ついて来い」


He followed, hastening his pace to a trot to keep up with his companion. "Where are we going?"

歩調を合わせるために小走りになりながら、ルークはついて行った。
「どこに行くの?」


"Up," was the unhelpful reply.

「上だ」返ってきたのは不親切な応えだけだった。


Obstinately, Luke lagged behind, clambering up the hill, leaping lightly over the small rocky outcroppings that began to appear as they ascended, and pausing to study the rocks and soil. Finally he ran to catch up with the man, and the black cloak whipped him in the face. He batted it irritably. "Hey!"

聞き分けの無い子供の様に、ルークは丘を登っていくにつれてごつごつと露出しはじめた岩を軽々と飛び越えたり石や土壌を見るために立ち止まったりしながらわざと遅れてついて行った。ようやく走って男に追いつくと、黒いマントがルークの顔を打った。彼は腹立たしげにそれを振り払った。
「気をつけてよ!」


His protest was ignored, and he didn't repeat it. Couldn't repeat it as his breath began to catch. He'd thought he was in good shape, but he could barely keep up with the giant, whose measured breaths never faltered. Luke was grudgingly impressed and wondered again if the man was an Imperial. He'd never seen anyone dressed all in black, except for some of the beings in that memorable cantina in Mos Eisley--and that man who'd killed Ben.

苦情は聞き入れられず、ルークも繰り返さなかった。息が上がり始めて繰り返せなくなったからだった。自分ではそれなりに鍛えてあるつもりでいたが、規則正しい呼吸音を乱しもしない巨漢にはついていくのが精一杯だった。不承不承ながらも感心し、ルークは男が帝国の人間かどうか再び考えた。今までルークが見た中で黒尽くめの格好をしていたのは、想い出深いモス・アイズリーの酒場にいた者たちの一部と、ベンを殺したあの男だけだった。


He'd barely noticed the man because his horrified gaze had been locked on his new mentor, but there'd been a lightsaber and-

恐怖にとりつかれ、知り合ったばかりの助言者に目がくぎ付けになっていた所為で相手の男はほとんど見ていなかったが、ライトセイバーがあったことは覚えている。それから──


"Hey!" he called again. He grabbed the cloak and yanked at it. The man stopped. Luke wrapped the fabric around his fist and pulled. And stared.

「待って!」再度呼びかけ、ルークは黒いマントを掴んで引っ張った。男が立ち止まる。生地を手に絡ませて引っぱったルークは、「それ」を見つめた。


A lightsaber.

ライトセイバーだった。


With a gasp that was part snarl, Luke drew his own saber and ignited it. The man simply stared at him.

唸り声に似た声を発し、ルークは自分のライトセイバーを抜いてスイッチを入れた。男はただ彼を見つめていた。


"You propose a duel now, when our lives are in danger from a mutual enemy?"

「今、共通の敵から身を守らなければならない時に闘う気か」


"It was you!" Luke blurted. "You were on the Death Star--you killed Ben Kenobi!"

「あれはお前だったんだ!」ルークは吐き捨てるように言葉をぶつけた。
「お前はデス・スターで…ベン・ケノービを殺した!」


There was a pause, then the man's voice rumbled, "Which has nothing to do with you, child. Put down your weapon."

一瞬の沈黙の後、男の低い声が響いた。
「お前には関係の無いことだ。武器を下ろすんだ」


"He was my friend!"

「ベンは僕の仲間だった!」


"He was my enemy."

「奴は私の敵だった」


Luke hesitated. There was no animosity in those words; evidently the man didn't consider Luke to be his enemy, too. And he could scarcely cut down a man who wouldn't fight him, could he? That wasn't the Jedi way. Making his decision, he turned off the saber--truth be told, he wasn't certain he could have handled it anyway--and rehooked it on his belt.

ルークは躊躇った。男の言葉には憎しみが感じられない。自分を敵とみなしていないことも明白だった。それに、無抵抗の相手を斬りつけることはできない。それはジェダイの生き方に反することだ。意思を決めると、ルークはセイバーのスイッチを切り、ベルトにかけ直した。実際のところ、勝負になるかどうかの自信すらなかった。


"Thank you," the man said dryly. He turned and began climbing again.

「有り難い」そっけなくそう言うと、男は背中を向けて再び歩き始めた。


Luke looked after him for a moment. He twisted his head and stared down the hill. Most of the view was obscured by trees that grew twisted and gnarled. There was nowhere else to go. It occurred to him that he might never be found. If another Rebel team came down to the surface, they would find the remains of the first team and assume he was dead. He glanced back at his fellow survivor and saw, with some alarm, that the man was very far in front of him.

ルークはしばしその背中を見送っていた。振り返り傾斜を見下ろすと、その景色はねじれ曲がりながら生茂る木々に覆われていた。他に行くあてなどなかった。見つけてはもらえないのではという考えが過った。もし反乱軍から別の小隊が派遣されてきたとしても、最初の隊の残骸を発見して彼は死んだと推測してしまうのではないだろうか。共に生き残った同志に向き直ると、ルークは男がかなり先に進んでしまっているのに気づき、焦りを覚えた。


"Wait for me!" he called and began running, stumbling in the loose gravel. When he reached with the man, they were at the top of the hill--which also happened to be the base of a sheer cliff.

「待ってってば!」声をかけて、彼は不安定な砂利につまづきながら走り出した。ルークが男に追いついたとき、彼らは丘を登りきったところにある切り立った崖のふもとにいた。


The man in black was staring upward. Luke joined him, squinting at the solid rock face towering above. "We're not going to climb that...are we?" he asked doubtfully.

黒尽くめの男は崖を見上げていた。ルークは隣に立ち、目を細めて聳え立つ岩壁を仰いだ。
「これを登るなんて言わない…よね?」まさか、とでも言いたげに彼は尋ねた。


"No."

「ああ」


"Good." His gaze wandered and locked on a dark feature on the landscape. "Look, a cave!"

「良かった」辺りを見渡し、彼は景色の中の黒い影に目を留めた。
「見て、洞窟だ!」


"I know. We will shelter there."

「そうだ。あそこで暖を取る」


"Oh. You already knew." This was the way Uncle Owen had made him feel: useless and not too bright.

「なんだ、知ってたんだ」叔父のオーウェンといたときもこんな気分にさせられた。自分は利用価値がなく、頭の回転も遅いのだと。


"I arrived before you and thus had the opportunity to see it first."

「先についた私には、先に発見する機会があっただけのことだ」


He glanced curiously at the man. It almost sounded as if this stranger was reassuring him. "What about the Creatures? If we stop, won't they find us?"

ルークは興味深げに相手を見つめた。この見知らぬ男の言葉は、まるで自分を慰めてくれているかのようにも聞こえた。
「あの生き物は?ここで止まったらあいつらに見つからないかな?」


"I have noted that they appear to dislike climbing. Perhaps they will be reluctant to follow us. If they do, from here we can see them coming and hold them off.

「奴らは登ることが嫌いなようだ。追う気が削がれるかもしれん。もし追ってきたとしても、ここなら奴らが来るのを見て襲撃を防ぐことができる」


"With what?"

「どうやって?」


The black mask turned toward him. "Your blaster."

黒いマスクが振り向く。「お前のブラスターがある」


Luke's hand brushed it protectively. "You don't carry one," he observed unnecessarily.

ルークはブラスターを守るように撫でた。「あんたはもってないじゃないか」青年はわかりきっている事を指摘した。


The man ignored his statement. "And, when they close in, two lightsabers."

男はその言葉を無視した。
「奴らが至近距離に入った時は、ライトセイバー二本で対応出来る」


Luke shrugged. "I don't actually... know how to use it."

ルークは肩をすくめた。
「これの使い方…実はよく知らないんだ」


The man didn't reply. "Come," he said and led the way to the cave.

男は返事をしなかった。「来い」そう言って彼は洞窟へと先立って歩き出した。


It was obvious from the pristine state of the cave floor that no animal made a home here. With the Creatures on this planet, perhaps no other animal life was left. With a sigh, Luke dropped onto the ground and crossed his legs, resting his elbows on them.

汚れのない地面の様子から、洞窟に動物が棲んでいないことは明らかだった。あのような生物が生息しているのでは、他の動物はもう残っていないのかもしれない。ため息をつき、ルークはすとんと腰を下ろして胡座をかくと膝の上に肘をついた。


"What are we going to do for food and water?"

「食べ物と水はどうするの?」


The man prowled the cave. He had to bend slightly because the ceiling didn't accommodate his great height. "Do you not carry rations?"

男は洞窟の中を行ったり来たりしていた。洞窟の天井はその途方も無い身長に対応できず、彼は少し屈まなければならないようだった。
「非常食の持ち合わせはないのか?」


"A little." Luke shrugged. "Do you have any?"

「少しだけなら」ルークは肩をすくめた。「あんたは?」


"No."

「無い」


"Well," he reflected, "I suppose we should wait until we're very hungry. It won't last long between the two of us."

「うーん、」ルークは懸命に考えていた。
「すっごくおなかが空くまで待った方がいいだろうな。二人でこの量じゃそんなに長くはもたないよ」


"You would share your rations with me?" The man sounded surprised.

「食料をわけてくれるのか?」男の言葉には驚いたような響きがあった。


"Of course."

「勿論」


After a hesitation, the man sat beside him. "I am allied with the Imperium."

しばし躊躇った後、男はルークの隣に腰を下ろした。「私は帝国側の人間だ」


"I figured that out," Luke snapped. "But you still have to eat, don't you?"

「わかってるよ」ルークはぴしゃりと言い返した。
「それでも食べなきゃならないだろ?」


The man chuckled. "Indeed, that has often been a matter of speculation."

男は含み笑いをもらした。「その通りだ、しばしば考察の対象になる」


Before Luke could ask what he meant, the other drew a small black pouch from his belt. "Berries," he said.

ルークがその言葉の意味を問う前に、相手はベルトから黒い小袋を引き出した。
「木の実だ」


"Where--?"

「どこで…?」


"I picked them while we climbed. Eat. They will not harm you."

「登っている最中に摘んだものだ。食べておけ。害は無い」


He trusted the stranger. If the man wanted to hurt him, he would have already done it. "I didn't see any berries." Cautiously, he bit into a plump, round fruit. It was juicy and flavorful, but a little tart.

ルークはこの見知らぬ男を信用した。男が彼を傷つけるつもりなら、もうとっくにそうしているだろう。
「木の実なんて見なかったけどな」慎重に、丸々とした果実に歯を立てた。その実は瑞々しく風味豊かで、少し酸っぱかった。


"Your powers of observation are not well honed."

「お前の観察能力はよく磨かれていないんだ」


Nothing about me is well honed, he thought glumly. "I don't know much. I grew up in a desert. There was nothing to look at."

僕に磨かれたところなんてないよ、と彼は陰鬱な気分になった。
「知らないことが多いんだ。僕は砂漠育ちなんだよ。観察するものなんて何もなかった」


"There is always something to look at, boy. What planet are you from?"

「いつでも何かしら観察の対象はあるものだ。お前はどこの惑星の出身だ?」


"Tatooine."

「タトゥイーン」


"Tatooine," the man echoed thoughtfully. "How extraordinary."

「タトゥイーンか、」男は何かを思案するように繰り返した。「奇妙だな」


"There's nothing extraordinary about Tatooine," Luke replied bitterly.

「タトゥイーンに奇妙なところなんて何もないよ」ルークが冷たく応えた。


"Then you were glad to leave?"

「では去ることができて嬉しかったのか?」


"Yes, but... Imperial troops killed my guardians."

「うん、でも…育て親が帝国軍の奴らに殺されたんだ」


"You were fortunate they did not kill you."

「自分も殺されなかったのは幸運だったな」


Luke pulled his knees together and rested his chin on them. "I wasn't there when it happened. I came home...after. If I'd been there...." He shrugged. "I guess I'd be dead, too."

ルークは揃えた膝に顎を預けた。
「その時僕はそこにいなかった。その後で…帰ったんだ。もし僕がそこにいたら…」彼は肩をすくめた。
「僕も死んでただろうけど」


The man was quiet, and Luke tilted his face to study the boots that were slowly being stretched out. He asked the question that he'd wondered since he saw the lightsaber: "Are you a Jedi?"

男は何も言わなかった。ルークはそろそろと足を崩しはじめた男のブーツをよく見るために首を傾げた。ライトセイバーを見たときから考えていた問いを、彼は口にした。
「あんたはジェダイ?」


The stretching movement halted. "No," the man said shortly. With economic, graceful moves, he folded his legs and stood. "I will set up an alarm system for the night. Tomorrow we will seek water and a further source of food."

脚を伸ばす動きが急に止まった。
「違う」男は短く応え、無駄の無い優雅な動きで膝を折り立ち上がった。
「今夜のために警報の仕掛けを作る。明日、水ともっと他の食料の捜索をしよう」


"Someone might come for us," Luke offered, rising.

「誰かが探しにくるかもしれないよ」立ち上がりながらルークが言った。


"We may be here for some time," the man countered.

「しばらくの間ここにいることになるかもしれん」男が言い返した。


"We may be here forever," Luke whispered, frightening himself with the observation.

「永遠にここにいることになるかも…」呟いたルークは自分自身の考えに怯えていた。


"We will not," the man said with such certainty that Luke was reassured. "We must make the most of the time we have."

「そうはならん」その確信に満ちた口ぶりはルークを安心させた。
「残った時間は有効に使わなければな」


He watched the man stride from the cave, curiosity rising as he considered the words. Make the most of what? "Wait for me," he called as he hastened from the cave. "Hey! What's your name?"

男が洞窟から出て行くのを見送りながら言葉を反芻すると、好奇心がむくむくと首をもたげた。何を有効に使うって?
「待ってよ」洞窟から飛び出すと、彼は呼びかけた。
「ねえ!あんたの名前は?」


From the opposite end of the rocky ledge, the giant turned. "Call me...Kin."

ごつごつした岩棚の反対側から、巨漢が振り向いた。
「キン、と呼べ」


"Kin?" Luke repeated. "As in 'relative'?"

「キン?」ルークは繰り返した。「『近しい』って意味の?」


The man made an odd sound that might have been a chuckle. "Very good. Yes. Kin."

男が洩らした奇妙な音は笑い声だったのかもしれない。
「よくわかったな。そう、『キン』だ」


He grinned. "Okay...Kin. I'm Luke."

彼はにっと笑みを浮かべた。「キン…だね。僕はルーク」


"I know."

「知っている」


"How could you know that?" Luke scoffed. He followed the man's example and broke twigs off the scrubby brush to lay across the trail.

「どうやってわかったの?」冷やかすように言って、彼は男の動作を見習い生茂る藪の小枝を折って道に並べた。


Kin pointed to the breastpocket of Luke's uniform.

キンはルークの制服の胸ポケットを指差した。


"Oh," Luke said. He fingered the namepatch. "But it only says 'Skywalker'."

「ああ、」名札を弄りながらルークが言った。
「でもこれ『スカイウォーカー』としか書いてないよ」


"You're famous," Kin said lightly.

「お前は有名だ」キンはさらりと応えた。


"Really?" He considered it, wondering if the stranger was teasing him. Still, he had destroyed the Death Star, so maybe his name was known among Imperials. "That's not necessarily a good thing."

「本当に?」この見知らぬ男は自分をからかっているのだろうかと、しばしの間考えた。しかし、事実自分はデス・スターを撃破している。帝国軍の中で実際に名が売れているのかもしれない。
「それってあんまりいい事じゃないよね」


"Not necessarily," the man agreed companionably.

「必ずしも良いことではないな」男は穏やかに賛同を示した。


He rather liked this odd Imperial. "Do you have any kids?" he asked impulsively.

ルークはこの奇妙な帝国軍人に好意をもち始めていた。
「子供はいるの?」衝動的に尋ねる。


The man squatted, his cloak dragging in the dirt and made a strange movement with his hand as if he were putting a spell on the sticks. "I have a son."

マントを土の上に投げ出し屈みこむと、男は小枝に魔法をかけるように手で不思議な動きをした。
「息子が一人いる」


"Oh." Luke imitated the motion, but felt nothing magical. "Do you miss him?"

「へえ」男の手の動きを真似してみたが、魔法のような感触は何もなかった。
「会えなくて寂しい?」


Kin straightened. "Yes. What are you doing?"

キンは立ち上がった。「ああ。何をしている?」


He flushed. "I was doing... whatever you were doing. Is that a Force thing?"

ルークは顔を赤らめた。
「何って…あんたの真似をしてたんだ。フォースで何かしたの?」


"I was brushing away an insect."

「虫を掃っていただけだ」


Luke rolled his eyes, disgusted with himself. "Oh.... My father abandoned me," he blurted and immediately wondered why he was telling a stranger such a personal thing.

自分で自分が嫌になり、ルークは目をきょろつかせた。
「なんだ…。僕は、父親に捨てられたんだ」言ってしまってから、彼は知りもしない相手に何故ここまで個人的なことを話しているのかと不思議に思った。


"Did he indeed? Who told you that?"

「本当にそうか?誰に聞いたんだ?」


"My Uncle Owen." Luke snapped off a few more twigs and laid them on the pile. "Aunt Beru said that wasn't quite true."

「オーウェン叔父さん」ルークはもう数本の小枝を手折り、積んであるそれに足した。
「ベルー叔母さんはそうじゃないって言ってた」


"She would."

「そうだろうな」


"Huh? Oh, yeah, that's right. Women are...gentler about what they say. Do we have enough branches now? We should be able to hear them coming."

「え?ああ、そうだよね、女の人は…優しい言い方をするよね。小枝は充分集まった?あいつらが来るかどうか聞こえないのはまずいんじゃない?」


The man stared across the valley that spread out below their high roost. "The Force will tell me when they come."

高台にある彼らのねぐらから、男は眼下に広がる谷を見渡した。
「奴らが来たらフォースが教えてくれる」


"You said you weren't a Jedi. How can you use the Force?"

「ジェダイじゃないって言ったじゃないか。どうしてフォースが使えるの?」


"Many can use the Force, child. The Jedi were simply a quasi-military organization whose glory days passed centuries ago."

「フォースを操れる者は沢山いる。ジェダイとは大昔に盛栄を誇ったことがあるだけのいわば軍隊のような組織だ」


Luke put his hands on his hips. "My father was a Jedi!" he protested indignantly. "And I'm going to be one--just like him!"

ルークは手を腰にあてた。「僕の父さんはジェダイだったんだ!」彼は憤慨も露わに反論した。
「僕もなるんだ…父さんみたいなジェダイに!」


"Aren't you a little old for blind hero worship?" Kin asked slowly. He turned. "Come, we will scavenge, then light a fire and retire to the protection of the cave for the night. The sun will soon set."

「その歳で盲目な英雄崇拝とは少々幼稚ではないのか?」ゆっくりと問いかけ、彼は背を向けた。
「来い、薪をあつめて洞窟の隠れ家に戻って火を焚く。すぐに日が沈む」


The man was correct. This planet had very short days, Luke reflected, and wondered how long the night might be. He shivered, feeling a hint of coolness slip into the air, an indication of freezing temperatures to come.

キンは正しかった。この惑星の昼が短いことを思い出して、ルークは夜はどれくらいの長さなのだろうかと考えた。夜は酷く気温が落ちることを偲ばせる冷気が大気中に少しずつ混ざるのを感じ、彼は震えた。




<< PREV / NEXT >>


BACK