Marooned 2


Two hours later, his intuition was proven right. If not for the fire, they would have been miserably cold. Luke finished his meager meal of berries and a nutribar, followed it with a swig of precious water, and leaned back against the cave wall, shifting to get comfortable. Kin hadn't eaten--or at least hadn't ingested food. He said his suit supplied him with nutrients--a handy idea that Luke thought he would recommend to the Alliance command. If he ever got back to them.

二時間後、彼の予測が正しかったことが判明した。火をおこしていなければ、彼らは寒さで惨めな思いをしていただろう。木の実と固形栄養食の質素な食事を貴重な水の一口で終え、ルークは座り心地の良い位置を探して身動きしながら洞窟の壁に寄りかかった。キンは何も食べていなかった──少なくとも、食物を摂取してはいなかった。彼の鎧が必要な栄養素を供給してくれると聞き、反乱軍での採用を薦めてみようとルークは思った。もし、帰れればの話だったが。


"Do you really think we'll be rescued?" he whispered to the darkness that lurked in the shadows behind the fire.

「本当に助かると思う?」彼は焚き火の向こう側の暗がりに渦巻く闇へ囁きかけた。


"Yes."

「ああ」


He waited, but there were no more words. He longed for words; they would banish his uneasiness. "Can we...talk?"

待ってもそれ以上の言葉は返ってこなかった。落ち着かない気分を打ち消してくれるであろう言葉が欲しかった。
「あの…話しをしてもいい?」


There was a gleam as the black helmet shifted and flame-light danced off it. "Yes." Kin paused. "Tell me more of this Jedi father who abandoned you."

黒いヘルメットが傾き、炎が投げかける光を映して輝きを放った。
「ああ」そこでキンは言葉を止めた。
「お前を置き去りにしたジェダイの父親について、もっと聞かせてくれ」


"I don't really know any more," Luke admitted wistfully. "Uncle Owen told me he was a navigator. Ben Kenobi told me he was a Jedi and gave me this lightsaber. He said it belonged to my father. It's the only thing I have of his, so...I guess it must be true. That he was a Jedi, I mean."

「あれ以上はほとんどわからないよ」沈んだ声音でルークは言った。
「オーウェン叔父さんは父さんのことをナビゲーターだったって言ってたけど、ベン・ケノービが父さんはジェダイだったって言ってライトセイバーをくれたんだ。これは父さんの物だったんだって。父さんの形見はこれしか持ってないんだ、だから…きっと本当なんだと思う──ジェダイだったってことはね」


"People have deceived you." Kin must have seen his nod in the dimness. "Are you so certain that he is dead?"

「騙されていたんだな」キンはルークが頷いたのを薄暗い中でも見てとったようだった。
「死んだというのも嘘だとは思わないのか?」


"If he were alive, he would have come for me," Luke said simply.

「もし生きてたら、僕のところに来てくれる筈だよ」ルークは簡単にそう答えた。


The silence lengthened. Luke drew circles in the dirt with his boot heel, then erased them. "Can I sit by you?" he asked finally, feeling childish but needing companionship.

沈黙が続き、ルークはブーツの踵で地面に円を描いては消した。
「隣に座ってもいい?」幼稚なことだと分かっていたが、温もりが欲しくてルークは遂に口にした。


"Yes."

「ああ」


He crawled around the fire and settled himself cross-legged next to the man. "You don't say much, do you?"

膝をついたまま焚き火の周りをぐるりと這って、ルークは男のとなりに胡座をかいた。
「あんまり喋らないんだね」


"You, child, say enough for both of us."

「お前が二人分喋るからな」


Luke grinned. "I've been told that before."

ルークの顔に笑みが浮かんだ。
「よく言われるよ」


"Chastisement evidently did not curb your tongue."

「忠告されてもその口は止まらなかったようだな」


He ducked his head. "Yeah. I...like the way your voice sounds. Is it because of the helmet or does it always sound that way?"

ルークはうつむいた。
「まあね。僕…あんたの声、好きだな。ヘルメットのせい?それともいつもそんな風に聞こえるの?」


"I have a vocoder."

「ボコーダーがついているんだ」


Was he supposed to know what that was? "Oh."

それが何なのか普通は知っているものなのだろうか。
「へえ」


There was a pause. "It amplifies my voice," Kin explained further. "Adds resonance."

一瞬の静寂の後、キンが説明をつけ加えた。
「音を増幅する装置だ。声が響くようになる」


"I wish I had a deep voice." He waited a few minutes and added: "And was taller."

「僕も低い声が欲しいよ」
ルークは数分待ってから「それと身長も」と付け足した。


Kin would make a good imaginary father. Luke wondered if his own father had been a runt like him or a near-giant like Kin.

キンは理想の父親像だった。父は自分のように発育不良だったのだろうか、それともキンのような大男だったのだろうか。


"So you don't know what he looked like?"

「父親がどんな男だったか知らないのか?」


His eyes widened. "Can you read my mind?"

ルークは目をまるくした。
「考えてることがわかるの?」


Kin shrugged. "You broadcast your thoughts strongly."

キンは肩をすくめた。
「お前の表情は読みやすい」


"Do I?" he wondered. "Is that the Force? Do you think I'll be able to read minds when I'm a Jedi?"

「そうかな」彼は考え込んだ。
「フォースでわかるの?僕もジェダイになったら人の心を読めるようになると思う?」


Another deep chuckle came from the man. "Are you planning on training to become a Jedi or do you think it will happen overnight?"

男は再び低い声で笑った。
「修行する気があるのか?それとも一晩でそうなるとでも思っているのか」


"I hope it will happen overnight," Luke replied flippantly, covering his misgivings, "because I have no idea how to be one. And there's no one left to teach me. Ben said the Emperor and a Jedi named Vader killed all the other Jedi. Including my father."

「一晩でそうなれればいいのに」ルークは不安を気取られないように軽い調子で言った。
「どうやってなればいいのか分からないんだ。教えてくれる人もいないし。ベンは皇帝とベイダーっていうジェダイが他のジェダイをみんな殺しちゃったんだって言ってた。僕の父親も」


"How...unfortunate." The words oozed sarcasm, and Luke flinched.

「それは…残念だったな」言葉から滲み出る皮肉に、ルークは身を竦ませた。


"Well, it certainly was unfortunate for me. I would have liked having a father instead of being stuck in that hell-hole with a cranky old uncle!"

「少なくとも僕にとっては残念だったよ。偏屈な叔父さんとあんな辺境の星で暮らすより、父さんと一緒にいたかった!」


He'd expected Kin to laugh, but he didn't. "I'm certain your father felt the same way. What if...." Kin hesitated.

予想に反して、キンは笑わなかった。「お前の父もそう思っていただろう。もし…」
そこまで言って男は躊躇った。


"What if what?"

「もし、何?」


One dark glove made a small gesture. "What if you discovered that your father was alive? How would you feel?"

黒い手袋が小さな仕草を見せた。
「もし父親が生きていたと分かったらどうするんだ?お前はどう思う」


"You mean if he was hiding from the Emperor or if he'd been wounded and gotten amnesia? I've thought about all those things." Luke sighed. "But why wouldn't he have remembered me? Why didn't...wouldn't he want me?"

「皇帝から隠れてるとか、怪我をして記憶喪失にでもなったとか?僕も色んなことを考えたよ」ルークはため息をついた。
「でもそれなら何で父さんは僕のことを思い出してくれないの?どうして僕を…必要としてくれないの?」


"Perhaps he is keeping you safe."

「お前を守るためかもしれない」


"Safe from what? No," Luke said decisively, "I'll bet he has another life, another family-- Or he's dead. That's all. Dead."

「何から?違うよ」ルークは決めつけるように言い放った。
「他に家族がいるに決まってる──そうじゃなかったら、死んでるんだ。それだけだよ。もういないんだ」


"And you want to be like him."

「お前はそんな父親のようになりたいのか」


"Not the dead part! But the rest...yes. I'll be a Jedi like my father."

「死んでるってことを除けばね!そうだよ、僕は父さんみたいなジェダイになりたいんだ」


"What if he wasn't a Jedi?"

「ジェダイではなかったとしたらどうする?」


Luke shifted uncomfortably and peered at the mask. "Of course he was a Jedi! I have his lightsaber."

落ち着かない様子で身動きするとルークは兜をちらりと見やった。
「ジェダイだったに決まってるよ!ライトセイバーがここにあるんだから」


"Are you certain that is your father's lightsaber?"

「それが父親のものだったとどうしてわかる?」


"Yes. Ben told me so, and he was a Jedi so he wouldn't lie. Anyway, I have to be a Jedi. I don't know how to do anything else. Except fly."

「ベンがそう言ったからさ、ジェダイは嘘をつかないよ。とにかく、僕はジェダイにならなきゃいけないんだ。他に何をすればいいのかわからないし。船を飛ばすこと意外は」


"Ah."

「成る程」


Luke unhooked the saber from his belt and ran his fingers over the hilt. "My father built this himself. I wonder if he fought Vader with it? Ben didn't say exactly how he died, just that Vader killed him. And I think...." He stared into the fire. "I think I'll use it to kill Vader."

ルークはベルトからセイバーをはずし、柄に指をすべらせた。
「このセイバーは父さんが作ったんだ。これでベイダーと闘ったのかな?ベンは父さんがどうやって死んだのかは言ってなかった、ただベイダーに殺されたとしか。僕は…」 彼は炎をじっと見つめた。
「これでベイダーを倒すんだ」


Kin didn't speak for a long time. Luke lost himself to his dreams of vengeance and loneliness and was startled when the low voice said: "Be cautious of the vows you make. Be certain of their wisdom, be assured of the veracity of the ones who whisper secrets... or you may make a mistake so terrible that you will be burdened with it forever."

キンは長い間何も言わなかった。敵討ちの空想と孤独感に囚われていたルークは、突然響いた低い声に驚かされた。
「誓いを口にするときは慎重になったほうがいい。秘密を囁く者たちを疑え。本当に信用できるか、その知識は真実なのか…さもなければ酷い失敗をして、一生それを背負って生きることになる」


Despite the nearness of the flames, Luke shivered. "I don't know why I'm saying all this."

火の近くにいるのにもかかわらず、ルークは震えた。
「どうしてこんなことまで喋ってるのかわからないよ」


"On some level, you feel close to me."

「どこかで、私に親近感を感じているのだろう」


He could think of no reply, so he settled back against the wall, sliding down to find a place where he could rest. Kin meant the Force...somehow the Force had connected them, Rebel and Imperial.

どう応えていいかわからなかったので、ルークは壁に体重を預け寝心地の良い場所を求めて身体をすべらせた。キンはフォースのことを言っているのだろう…どういうわけかフォースが反乱軍と帝国軍の二人を結びつけている。


It was a strange thought, ultimately comforting, but for now-- Wrapping his arms around himself for warmth, Luke drifted easily into oblivion.

不思議なことに、そう考えるとルークはひどく安心した。しかし今はとりあえず…─。自分で自分を暖めるように身体に腕をまわすと、ルークはすぐに眠りに落ちた。


Sometime in the night he woke briefly. The fire had been freshly tended and was flickering brightly. He was wrapped in soft black fabric, and his head was pillowed on something distinctly unrock-like. Drowsily, he opened his eyes and rubbed his cheek against a darkly padded...arm? Murmuring an indistinct sound of appreciation, he fell back into nothingness.

夜の途中でふと目を覚ますと、炎は新しい薪を足されちらちらと暖かい光を放っていた。ルークの体は黒くて柔らかい布に包まれ、頭は岩ではない何かの上に乗っていた。眠たげに目を開け、彼は黒い布で覆われたもの──腕だろうか?──に頬を擦り寄せた。感謝をこめて何事かを呟くと、ルークは再び眠りへと落ちていった。




<< PREV / NEXT >>


BACK