Marooned 3


Light woke him. Brilliant light. The rising sun shone directly into the cave's opening, casting shadows across the interior walls. He sat up and held himself very still as a wave of dizziness swept over him. When it passed, he looked curiously at the fabric twisted between his fingers. Kin's cloak was around him. It was soft, but thick and heavy. Kin must be wealthy to afford such luxury.

彼は眩しい光で目を覚ました。朝日が洞窟の入り口から直接差し込み、内部の壁に影を投げかけていた。起き上がると、ルークは波のように押し寄せた眩暈を堪えてしばらくじっとしていた。それが過ぎ去ると、握り締めていた生地をしげしげと見つめる。彼はキンのマントで覆われていた。布地は柔らかかったが、厚くて重たい。こんな豪華なものを着ているなんて、キンはきっと裕福なのだろう。


With a sigh, Luke stood cautiously, dragging the cloak with him. He shook it out and coughed as a cloud of dirt fell from it. Folding it around and around his arm, he stepped outside and took stock of his situation.

ため息をつき、ルークはマントを引きずりながら慎重に立ち上がった。ばさばさとマントを振ると土煙が上がり、ルークは咳き込んだ。腕に巻きながらそれを何重にも折りたたむと、彼は洞窟の外に出て次の行動を考えた。


Kin was nowhere in sight. Nor were any of the Creatures. Their small trap of twigs lay intact; no one had approached them during the night. Luke spent several minutes readying himself for the day then, still clutching the cloak that was growing heavier, he set off to find his strange comrade.

キンはどこにも見当たらなかった。あの生き物たちも。小枝の仕掛けはまだそこにあった──夜のうちに近づいて来た者はいない。数分かけて身づくろいをすると、ルークは重たく感じはじめたマントを持ったまま奇妙な同志を探しに出発した。


He found him frozen in a terrifying tableau. Kin was standing at the base of the slope beside a bush of ruby berries. One hand clasped a pouch, the other was outstretched, palm facing the Creatures, holding them at bay by a means Luke couldn't see. Quietly, he approached and drew his blaster, but waited. The Creatures didn't move, and he took the opportunity to study them. They appeared to be quadrupeds, but they stood on two limbs. Their heads were enormous, bigger than their bodies, and were wedge-shaped. Their skin appeared thick and scaly, and seeped a thin, shiny fluid that was coated with loose soil, vegetation and bugs. Luke felt a flicker of distaste.

ルークは男が微動だにせず化け物と対峙しているところを発見した。キンは丘のふもとに生えた赤い木の実の藪の傍らに立っていた。片方の手には小袋を持ち、伸ばされたもう片方の掌は生き物たちに向けられ、目には見えない力で敵を抑えていた。静かに近づきブラスターを抜いたが、ルークはそのままじっと待った。生き物たちは動きを止めていて、彼はこの機会を利用し彼らを観察した。四足歩行の動物のように見えるが、彼らは二本の脚で立っていた。鱗の見える厚い皮膚は、土や食べかすや虫で汚れた透明な分泌液で薄く覆われていた。ルークは軽い嫌悪を感じた。


Kin backed away a few steps. The largest Creature snarled and moved toward him. Luke raised his blaster and took aim.

キンが数歩後退し、体の大きいものが唸り声を上げてそれを追った。ルークはブラスターを構え、狙いを定めた。


"No!" Kin shouted, but Luke had already pulled the trigger.

「やめろ!」キンが叫んだが、その指はすでに引き金を引いていた。


The Creature fell, and almost immediately something struck Luke from behind. He was thrown violently to the ground, his arms pinned behind him, and a great weight pressed across his back. Fluid dropped onto his face, clogging his nostrils and dripping into his mouth. Furiously he struggled with the Creature, but he was helpless. His limbs felt like they were moving in slow motion and he couldn't think clearly, couldn't grab the monster, couldn't-

標的が倒れ、次の瞬間何かがルークを後ろから殴った。乱暴に地面に身を投げ出され、腕は後ろ手に捕われ、背中に途方もない重さがのしかかった。生き物の分泌液が顔にしたたり、鼻や口に流れ込んできた。抵抗しようともがいたが無駄だった。体を動かしてもそれはまるでスローモーションのようで、思考には霞みがかかったようだった。怪物を掴むこともできない、何も出来ない──…


The reassuring hum of a lightsaber sounded nearby, and it was followed by a terrible howl.

力強いライトセイバーの振動音が近くで聞こえ、恐ろしい唸り声が後を追った。


He was free.

体の拘束が解けた。


Frantic, he pulled the stickiness away from his mouth and nose, struggling to breathe again. He inhaled and choked on the substance, gagged and spit it out. It clung to his tongue. Nothing in his life had prepared him for such a horrifying experience, and he shuddered as hysteria tried to claim his senses. Blood--not his own--was splattered on his hands and clothes, and it repulsed him.

息を吸いたくて口や鼻を覆うべとべとしたものを必死で拭う。その物質を空気と一緒に吸い込んでしまい、喉をつまらせ咳き込むと、ルークは何度もそれを吐き出そうとした。それは舌に纏わりついていた。これまで積んできた人生経験をもってしても、こんなに恐ろしい体験を受け入れる覚悟は彼にはなく、狂気じみた混乱が押し寄せてびくびくと体が震えた。自分のものではない血液が手や服に飛び散っていて、吐き気がこみ上げた。


Then Kin was there, fingers helping clear his airway. Soothing messages drifted into his mind, and slowly he calmed. But his body began to shake, and he knew there was something else wrong.

そして、キンが傍に来て、指で呼吸を妨げるものを拭ってくれた。宥めるような言葉が意識に流れ込み、ルークは少しずつ落ち着きを取り戻した。しかし身体が震えだして、彼は何かがおかしいことを悟った。


"P-poison?" he asked through chattering teeth. He was so cold. He'd never been this cold; in all his life, he'd been warm, there'd always been sun, but now-

「ど…毒?」彼はがちがちと鳴る歯の間から問いかけた。酷く寒い。こんなに寒いのも生まれて初めてだった。いつも太陽が降り注いでいて暖かかった。しかし今は──


"Am...I...die?"

「僕…は…死ぬの?」


"No." Kin wrapped the cloak around him and lifted him effortlessly.

「お前は死なない」キンはマントでルークを包むとその身体を軽々と抱えあげた。


Luke made no attempt to assist; nothing about his body obeyed his command. He hung limply in the giant's arms. Before they reached the cave, he felt his muscles begin to spasm, and then his awareness passed away.

身体が言うことをきいてくれずに、彼はなすがままになっていた。巨漢の腕に、くたりと身体を投げ出していた。洞窟に帰り着く前に自分の筋肉が痙攣し始めるのを感じ、ルークは意識を失った。



** ** **



He had vague memories of being sick; aside from that, he remembered nothing when he finally woke. Luke opened his eyes and gave a small moan, weakly drawing up his hand to protect his eyes from the light.

気分が悪かったことだけを微かに覚えている。それを除けば、意識が戻った時には何もかも忘れていた。ルークは目を開け小さく呻くと、弱々しく腕を上げて眩しさから目を覆った。


A shadow moved between him and the brightness. Kin. Luke regarded him tiredly.

光を遮るように人影が動いた。キンだ。ルークは気だるげに相手を見やった。


"I'm awake."

「起きたよ」


"I can see that." Kin wiped his face with a damp cloth. "You have been very ill."

「そのようだな」キンは湿った布でルークの顔を拭った。
「酷い症状だった」


"How long...?"

「どれくらい…?」


"Two days. Stay still," the older man cautioned when Luke tried to rise. "You are weak from lack of food and partial dehydration. You require time to regain your strength before moving about."

「二日間だ。まだ動くな」起き上がろうとするルークに年上の男が忠告した。
「食料の摂取不足と脱水症状から弱っているんだ。動けるほど体力を回復するまでには時間がかかる」


He swallowed a groan before dropping his head back on softness that he knew must be the cloak. Handy thing, that. Maybe he should think about getting one. "Thank you for taking care of me."

込み上げた呻き声を堪えると、おそらくマントであろう柔らかいものに頭を戻し横たわった。便利な物だ。自分も一枚買うことを考えるべきかもしれない。
「介抱してくれてありがとう」


His gratitude was banished with a wave of one hand. "Drink."

感謝の言葉は振られた手で簡単に払いのけられた。
「飲め」


A cup had been roughly fashioned from a piece of bark, and Luke drank thirstily from it. After a few gulps, he pulled back, and the fingers that had supported his head released him. He coughed a few times and licked his lips to capture the last of the moisture.

木をくりぬいて作られた荒削りのコップから、ルークは貪るように水を飲んだ。二口ほどで唇を離すと、頭を支えていた手が離れていった。何度か咳き込み、彼は残った水分を求めて唇を舐めた。


"Have they come back?"

「あいつらは戻って来た?」


"The Creatures? No. I suspect they are unwilling to return to a battle they cannot win."

「あの生き物のことか?いや。勝てない戦いをしに戻って来る気はないのだろう」


"They almost won that one," Luke said groggily. "I thought I'd save you and you ended up saving me." He studied the expressionless mask curiously. "Why?"

「あのときはもう少しで勝ってたよ」弱々しい声でルークが言った。
「あんたを守ろうとして、結局助けてもらっちゃったね」彼は表情のないマスクをしげしげと見つめた。
「どうして?」


Kin didn't answer. He was suddenly very busy folding the cloth he'd used to wipe Luke's face.

キンは応えなかった。彼は急に忙しそうに、ルークの顔を拭うのに使っていた布をたたんでいた。


Luke reached out and slid his fingers around the softness. "Your cloak--you tore it?" He didn't know why that was significant to him--it was only fabric, after all. But it had symbolized something he didn't understand; it was beautiful and exotic, and an air of leadership and security clung to it. Its mutilation made him want to cry; though, of course, he did not.

ルークは手を伸ばし柔らかい布地に触れた。「マントを…破いたの?」
どうしてただの布が自分にとってこんなに意味をもつのかは分からなかったが、それは確かに彼が知らない何かを象徴していた。美しく不思議な魅力を持つそのマントは、指導者の威厳と自信を纏っていた。それが破れたという事実に泣きたくなる。勿論、実際に泣いたりはしなかったが。


"I have others."

「替えがある」


"But not this one," he answered stubbornly. "It's ruined." He wound the long strip around his fingers and clutched it to his chest. His eyelids were heavy again. Reluctantly, he acknowledged his tiredness.

「でもこれはもう使えないよ」ルークは尚も食い下がった。
「台無しだよ」彼は細長い切れ端を指に巻きつけ、胸元でしっかりと握り締めた。再び瞼が重くなった。彼は不承不承自分の疲れを認めた。


"Sleep now," Kin said gruffly.

「もう寝ろ」無愛想な声でキンが言った。


Luke smiled and tightened his grip on the small piece of fabric.

ルークは微笑んで布地の切れ端をしっかりと握り締めた。


He slept.

そしてそのまま眠った。



** ** **



He dreamed he was in a meadow, his weakened body leaning against Kin for support. One big hand was under his armpit, forcing him to stand. To his right were white-armored stormtroopers; to his left, Han Solo and his blaster. Luke smiled faintly. I knew you'd come for me, he said. I knew you wouldn't give up looking.

弱りきった体をキンに預けて、草原に立っている夢を見ていた。腕の下にまわされた大きな手が彼を支えている。右側に白い鎧をまとったストームトルーパーが並び、左側にはブラスターを構えたハン・ソロがいた。ルークは微かに微笑んだ。
来てくれるって信じてたよ、彼は言った。
諦めないで探してくれるって思ってた。


From the ramp of the Millennium Falcon, Chewie howled and waved his bowcaster threateningly.

ミレニアム=ファルコンの昇降口でチューイが吼え、脅しのようにボーガンを振っていた。


I won't let them hurt you, he told Kin drowsily.

攻撃させないから安心して、気怠げにそうキンに伝えた。


"I am not worried."

「その心配はしていない」


Luke blinked, woken by the very real sound of the voice vibrating across the top of his head. He staggered and stared.

頭上で響いた本物の声に目を覚まし、ルークは目を瞬いた。


It wasn't a dream.

それは夢ではなかった。


"Han?"

「ハン?」


"Take it easy, kid." The blaster was aimed at him--or Kin. "Give him here--or you won't live to see tomorrow."

「じっとしてろよ、坊や」ブラスターはルークに──もしくはキンに、向けられていた。
「そいつを渡せ…ここで死にたくなかったらな」


"My lord--" A Imperial officer dressed in grey addressed Kin. "We can take him out easily. Your prisoner--"

「閣下、」くすんだ色の制服に身を包んだ帝国軍の将校がキンに進言した。
「今なら簡単にこの人質を連れて…」


"This is not my prisoner," Kin interrupted harshly. The officer flinched.
"You may have your friend." Kin raised his voice to address Han. "And you may leave unmolested. But he cannot walk alone. I will bring him to you."


「人質ではない」厳しい声音でキンがその言葉を遮ると、将校は身を強張らせた。
「仲間を連れて帰るがいい」ハンに聞こえるように声を上げる。
「立ち去るまで攻撃はしない。ただし彼は一人では歩けない。私がそこまで連れて行く」


Chewie howled a protest. Luke smiled sleepily. He dragged his feet as Kin walked forward.
"My lord?" he quoted questioningly. " 'S nice."


チューイが反論を発した。ルークは眠そうな笑みを浮かべ、キンが進むのに合わせて、足をひきずった。
「『閣下』?」彼は問うように将校の台詞を繰り返した。
「すごいね」


"Walk," Kin commanded in a low voice. "You're being rescued."

「歩け」キンが低い声で命令した。
「助けが来たんだ」


"I know. But...." His mind stumbled over a question, and he struggled to say it. "Why.... How come I'm not your prisoner? You caught me."

「わかってる。けど…」思い浮かんだ質問を口に出そうと、彼は懸命に試みた。
「どうして…何で僕は人質じゃないの?捕まったのに」


Kin stopped and pulled Luke straighter. "Stand up."

足を止め、キンはルークをまっすぐ立たせた。「立て」


"I'm trying. But...why?"

「やってるよ。だけど…どうして?」


The black mask looked down at him.
"And what would I do with you, little prisoner?" Kin asked softly. "I could not keep you. The Emperor...."


黒いマスクが見下ろしていた。 「他にどうすれば良い、小さき人質よ」穏やかに問いかけられる。
「お前を傍に置いておくことはできない。皇帝が…」


"What?" he asked irritably as the voice trailed into silence. "What about the Emperor? What do you mean?"

「なに?」途切れていく言葉を、彼は苛立った様子で追求した。
「皇帝が何なのさ?どういう意味?」


Kin made him walk another short distance. "Nothing of importance. Can you manage the last steps to your friend? His anxiety level is rising with your every hesitation."

キンはもう数歩ルークを歩かせた。
「大したことではない。友人のもとまで歩けるか?お前が躊躇う度に仲間の懸念が高まっている」


Luke centered himself and straightened. Kin released him cautiously, and he was relieved to find he could stand alone.
"Thank you," he told the black figure. "I wish we could have talked more."


ルークはバランスを取るとまっすぐ立った。キンが慎重にその手を離し、彼は自分一人でも立てることにほっとした。
「ありがとう」黒を纏う男に彼は伝えた。
「もっと話したかったな」


The dark helmet inclined slightly.
"May the Force be with you," Kin said. Then he turned and strode away.


黒いヘルメットが微かに傾いた。
「フォースの加護を」そういうとキンは歩き去った。


Luke stared at his back.
"May the Force be with you," he whispered and hoped Kin heard him. He staggered the last few yards to Han and let himself be helped toward the Falcon.


ルークはその背中をじっと見つめた。
「フォースの、加護を」囁いて、キンに聞こえていればいいと願った。ハンまでの最後の数フィートをつまづきながら歩き、ルークはファルコンまで支えられていった。


Chewie swept him into his furry arms and carried him inside, depositing him in the rec area. Han stalked through, muttering to himself.

チューイがその毛皮に覆われた腕でルークを抱き上げ船内に運び込み、ラウンジに下ろした。ハンはぶつぶつと独り言を言いながら足音を響かせて通り過ぎた。


"Of all the crazy stunts--! How did you let yourself get mixed up with Vader anyway? Why the hell did he help you?"

「とんでもないことをしてくれたもんだ!何でベイダーなんかと鉢合わせたんだ?大体何であいつがお前を助けた?」


"Vader?" Luke felt his mind go numb. "That was Vader?"

「ベイダー?」思考が麻痺していくのが感じられた。
「あれがベイダーだったの?」


"Who'd you think it was, kid? Buckle yourself in. We're gettin' out of here before they change their mind and blast us to bits."

「誰だと思ってたんだ、坊や?座ってベルトをしろ。奴らが考え直して、撃たれて粉々になっちまう前に脱出するぞ」


Vader....

ベイダー…


The enormity of the betrayal slammed into him. The man who killed his father--this man, the one who'd saved his life, tended his illness, listened to his confidences, this gentle, violent giant-- This was his most hated foe--Vader!

手ひどい裏切りを受けたという事実が衝撃となってルークを襲った。父親を殺した男──彼の命を救い、倒れた彼を介抱し、決意を聞いてくれたあの優しく力強い巨漢が、憎むべきベイダーだったなんて!


Furious and disappointed, he slammed his fist against the bulkhead.

憤りと落胆を感じ、ルークは壁に拳を叩きつけた。


Damn you for being Vader....

ベイダーだったなんて、酷いよ…


He threw himself onto the bench and pulled the safety strap tightly around his hips. His vision blurred, and he scrubbed at his eyes. The Falcon shuddered as it blasted into the sky. Luke's body shook in the restraints and his stomach twisted again, but he swallowed his nausea and opened his right fist. With painstaking precision, he straightened the strip of heavy fabric that had crumpled in his grasp and folded it into neat squares.

乱暴に座席に腰を下し安全ベルトを腰にきつく巻きつけた。視界が歪み、ルークは目をこすった。空へと飛び立つファルコン号が機体を震わせた。ベルトの束縛の中、体が揺れて吐き気が込み上げた。それを押さえ込み、ルークは握り締めていた右手を開いた。手の中でしわくちゃになっていた重厚な布地の切れ端を念入りに広げると、彼はそれを四角く丁寧に折りたたんだ。


You killed my father. No--'betrayed and murdered'. But to 'betray', you must have known him well. You were his...friend? You saved me because you murdered him? You saved me to repay a debt?

あんたは父さんを殺した。違う──「裏切って」殺した。でも「裏切った」ってことは父さんをよく知ってたってことだよね。父さんの…友達だったの?父さんを殺したから、僕を助けたの?借りを返す為に?



There was more here, a mystery that he couldn't begin to fathom.

そこには真実が隠れているに違いない、彼には到底測ることの出来ない謎が。


He stared at the black square for a long minute before slipping it into his breastpocket.

ルークは四角く折りたたまれた布地を胸ポケットにしまいこむまでじっと見つめていた。


There would be time enough later to consider Darth Vader. And anyway, it was unlikely that they would ever meet again.

ダース・ベイダーのことは後でいくらでも考える時間があるだろう。それに、おそらく彼らはもう二度と会うことは無いのだから。



+++ The End +++


<< PREV / NEXT >>



FEEDBACK (to M.J. Mink)

>> 翻訳者感想。


BACK